When someone says you have no sense of humor..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2349

Reaction score
after having been 'joking' with you at work, school, or wherever else you are caught off guard.. How do you react?

Sometimes I just smile and nod.. most of the time I turn it around and make them feel just as uncomfortable as they've made me feel.. then realize that I'm acting petty... and then feel guiltily okay about it ._.

altghost said:
after having been 'joking' with you at work, school, or wherever else you are caught off guard.. How do you react?

Sometimes I just smile and nod.. most of the time I turn it around and make them feel just as uncomfortable as they've made me feel.. then realize that I'm acting petty... and then feel guiltily okay about it ._.

Any time someone has said this to me, it was a direct result of me not laughing at their joke, so they lashed out at me. Surely it wasn't the joke that sucked, right? It was *I* who lacked the subtle, sense of humor to detect the nuance of his clear, comic genius.

Riiiiiiight.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I know they have to be joking then, because I have a great sense of humor.

Same here. I'm German, I have a world-class sense of humour :D

Case said:
Any time someone has said this to me, it was a direct result of me not laughing at their joke, so they lashed out at me. Surely it wasn't the joke that sucked, right? It was *I* who lacked the subtle, sense of humor to detect the nuance of his clear, comic genius.

That seems to be when i hear it.

I don't think I've ever had anyone say it to me, but I have been present when it's been said to others. I find that it's almost exclusively said by someone after they've said something offensive that someone else didn't laugh at. Rather than accept that their attempt at humour wasn't actually that amusing, they decide that obviously the person who didn't laugh has no discernible sense of humour.

I wouldn't worry about it, either way...

My response to people (correction, MUM) telling me I have no sense humour is to say that I do have a sense of humour, just a different one to them.

Broken_Doll said:
My response to people (correction, MUM) telling me I have no sense humour is to say that I do have a sense of humour, just a different one to them.

^This! So much of this! I have quite the sarcastic, twisted sense of humor. People don't seem to understand that everyone is different in their own way.

It depends. People have said it to me if I haven't laughed at their jokes but I just tell them that 'no, they're just not funny'. And then we laugh about it and it's all good.

However, I do have one person in my life that seems to delight in putting me down and if I say they were mean or they upset me, then I get told 'oh it was a joke, you have no sense of humour' I just ignore it now, but it used to really get to me.

Latest posts

Back