Fast / Processed food

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that was kind of common knowledge, maybe just from where i live though. Healthy food doesn't only mean physically healthy. Funny thing is i am more likely to get me some fast food when i'm feeling down.

This is something I worry about from time to time. I don't eat much fast food anymore because it's a money pit and I don't see the sense in paying for something that is so obviously bad for you, it's like smoking in my mind. But I worry about the food we eat at home. It's not organic, just regular grocery store food. And we don't have a filter on our water. It's been this way all our lives, and I worry about the long-term effects of it. Since I don't have money I can't buy a filter or pick the menu, either.

Yeah, I am a big supporter of this kind of thing.

I write from experience. In my teens, I was physically and mentally a wreck. If you had seen me when I was maybe 17 or 18, you would have put my life expectancy at about 32. I looked terrible. I lost all my friends, and there was no possibility of ever getting a girlfriend or kissing anyone when I looked like that. I had a face like a Halloween mask.

Well, the good news is, right now I'm 55, and I feel great. Every morning for breakfast I eat what I call my "elixir of life", which is as follows, raw broccoli, raw tomato, some walnuts, and a dash of olive oil, all mixed in.
I eat a dozen portions of fresh fruit and vegetables every day. I never eat meat, nor do I smoke. I rarely drink alcohol. I am not a strict vegetarian however, as I eat oily fish (e.g. mackerel) which is good for the body.

I never use a cooker. I lived in a flat (U.S. apartment) for six years, and there was a cooker in the kitchen, but I never used it once. Cooking food removes a lot of the vitamins.

Due to the bad times, I have had to invest in some cosmetic surgery, and I also do my own cosmetic skin peels, and use a derma-roller. I still don't look that great, but when you consider what I used to look like, it is a transformation. Unfortunately it came too late for me ever to form relationships with the opposite sex. I am still a virgin at 55, and this probably will never change.

Finally I strongly believe that eating a healthy diet can and will help your mental state as well as your physical one.

Bill.

@TheSkaFish

I'm a student, and I can afford water filter and organic foods. Maybe you don't put your priority in good places?

Personally, my health will always comes before cars or other fashion stuff of 21th century.

Plus, eating good means that you will save money on pills later. So it's an investment, when you consider that pills cost a lot.

Finally, imagine living 60 years old and + in a hospital bed instead of playing with your grand children. Or if you don't have any, at least spend your old time walking in the wood, or traveling around, or just stay at home and read books. It's always better than being sick and weak.

I personally felt the link between junk food and mood. Once I started eating a clean/healthy diet and added more vitamin B and fish oils (claimed to improve mood), I noticed that my mood and energy levels increased. If I slack at all for more than one day, it really affects me terribly, I notice my motivation plummets and I start to feel the depression creeping back again. I don't buy organic all the time due to cost, but I've definitely lowered and/or eliminated sugar, bad fats and processed foods in general.

On the topic of water, since I started drinking filtered water, I notice I have less digestive problems.

I am noticing it as well. I think it is either related to sugar or wheat. Actually I was reading Wheat Belly last weekend because I noticed a connection to my being uncoordinated and eating badly. And there is a disease that can cause lack of coordination connected to wheat. Scary stuff. But I notice when I eat bad / a lot I am more sleepy / brain fogged.

so glad these things are becoming common knowledge, it's so sad because everyone is getting sick because of politics, the processed food in shops is cheaper and faster to produce with industrial food production methods, and they don't care if it costs more to the people in terms of medication and reduced quality of life. If more people were allowed to grow their own vegetables, organic food would be cheaper, now it's like buying gold.

Peaches said:
so glad these things are becoming common knowledge, it's so sad because everyone is getting sick because of politics, the processed food in shops is cheaper and faster to produce with industrial food production methods, and they don't care if it costs more to the people in terms of medication and reduced quality of life. If more people were allowed to grow their own vegetables, organic food would be cheaper, now it's like buying gold.

Actually, imagine people who are very careful about their health. Instead of a garage in their yard, they would make a garden and grow their own food. Cheap and healthy.

Now, try to imagine this: Monsanto tried to forbidden backyard garden to control food industry. It is how they do their business. We are lucky that this law didn't pass, but later, with more money and power, who could stop Monsanto?

Now Monsanto and their partners, http://www.inspirationgreen.com/vote-yes-on-37.html, they are trying to stop people who want GMO labels on foods.

Well, we are heading to something ugly if people doesn't wake up quick enough and change their habits of alimentation. We are feeding monsters, and soon, those same monsters will eat us.

Damrod said:
@TheSkaFish

I'm a student, and I can afford water filter and organic foods. Maybe you don't put your priority in good places?

Personally, my health will always comes before cars or other fashion stuff of 21th century.

Plus, eating good means that you will save money on pills later. So it's an investment, when you consider that pills cost a lot.

Finally, imagine living 60 years old and + in a hospital bed instead of playing with your grand children. Or if you don't have any, at least spend your old time walking in the wood, or traveling around, or just stay at home and read books. It's always better than being sick and weak.

Well the problem is I have pretty much zero money. I don't mean that I spend it all on other things. I literally mean I don't have it. But, it's something I do think about. I know that I will adopt healthier habits when I move out, but I worry about my parents. They're kind of set in their ways and don't really think about this stuff. That's what worries me.

Yeah I know that feeling. When I talk about that to my brother when he brings some frootloops or nasty stuff from his grocery, he gets mad, really mad.

It's the same things for my parents. My mother is obese and have lot of Joint trouble(I suspect Osteoarthritis). When I tell her that if she eats better, she could lose weight and possibly cure her troubles with bones, but she doesn't want to listen. Same stuff for cigarettes... My father used to stop cigarettes for few weeks, but my mother kept smoking. So my father has no choice to smoke again, since my mother was smoking in his face...

It's sad that you cannot do anything, and you know that soon they will be very sick, in hospital and unhappy because they won't have the possibility to go outside and enjoy life.

But it's their choice I guess. The only thing we can do, is to show example to other people...

TheSkaFish said:
Well the problem is I have pretty much zero money. I don't mean that I spend it all on other things. I literally mean I don't have it. But, it's something I do think about.

What bothers me is that, for me, it truly is a scary issue of availability. I leave my house at 7 AM every day and don't return until 7 PM. So, if I dont' bring all my food with me for the day... I am basically given only choices of poison. I have a few friends who eat healthy and always lecture me on it being a matter of personal choice. Balloney. They have jobs that allow them to return home for lunch or otherwise. Also, it is more expensive.

If my train is late and I am out of food.. I have pretty much one choice in a train station full of food... that is nuts. You get a bit sick of that.

I am lucky that I have a salad bar at my work cafeteria but I have to say, I don't understand why food is always in such bad shape. Wilted lettuce. Scary looking meat. Honestly it does seem like a conspiracy a little.

LonelySutton said:
TheSkaFish said:
Well the problem is I have pretty much zero money. I don't mean that I spend it all on other things. I literally mean I don't have it. But, it's something I do think about.

What bothers me is that, for me, it truly is a scary issue of availability. I leave my house at 7 AM every day and don't return until 7 PM. So, if I dont' bring all my food with me for the day... I am basically given only choices of poison. I have a few friends who eat healthy and always lecture me on it being a matter of personal choice. Balloney. They have jobs that allow them to return home for lunch or otherwise. Also, it is more expensive.

If my train is late and I am out of food.. I have pretty much one choice in a train station full of food... that is nuts. You get a bit sick of that.

I am lucky that I have a salad bar at my work cafeteria but I have to say, I don't understand why food is always in such bad shape. Wilted lettuce. Scary looking meat. Honestly it does seem like a conspiracy a little.

You can take food with you. Bring a little cooler with you and it'll stay good all day. You could pack a container of leafy greens and veggies and a bottle of dressing and have a salad for dinner and something more perishable for earlier in the day.

TheRealCallie said:
You can take food with you. Bring a little cooler with you and it'll stay good all day. You could pack a container of leafy greens and veggies and a bottle of dressing and have a salad for dinner and something more perishable for earlier in the day.

If I have to do that, it's what I'll do. Because now I've started to eat 100% organic, I can't stop. I feel so much better in my body and my mind. Yeah, it's boring to make our lunch, but at least, I prefer that than eating some nasty stuff our society eat.

Damrod said:
TheRealCallie said:

If I have to do that, it's what I'll do. Because now I've started to eat 100% organic, I can't stop. I feel so much better in my body and my mind. Yeah, it's boring to make our lunch, but at least, I prefer that than eating some nasty stuff our society eat.

My kids and I mostly eat organic or natural foods. We used to be all organic, but I can't afford to do that anymore, so I do the best I can to keep processed foods and preservatives out of our diets. We don't eat fast food, except Panera Bread and even that isn't very often. I make most of our food from scratch.

But, therein lies the problem. People are either too lazy or too busy to be that committed to their diets. So, fast food will pretty much always win out for those people because it's "easier."

Fast food is totally addictive.
I eat organic, fruits, meats veges gf,gmo free and cow milk free.. but when i get really stressed out i somehow end filling my face up at a fast food outlet. Then, i crave that fast food for days after and sometimes I go back again the next day, and day after…
Until i start to see my intestines start to bloat and then i realize I'm off my diet and gaining weight so then I get back on track, for a while… until i get stressed out again
I suppose its much like a drug addict.
Fast food is gross, it really is.

What I did to stop that vicious cycle, is to become vegan. Now I can't go to fast-food, because we never know if there is animal product or not in foods.

So to keep a strict diet and never cheat, my solution was to become vegan and buy 100% organic. I'm doing very good so far. But yes, I guess it's more expensive, but even as a student, I have enough to live. Specially because I don't drink alcohol, I don't go to restaurant etc. The only activities I do is: Go to school, watch tv shows and movies, walk and jog in the wood. That's all. So all my money goes in food and my apartment.

Damrod said:
What I did to stop that vicious cycle, is to become vegan. Now I can't go to fast-food, because we never know if there is animal product or not in foods.

So to keep a strict diet and never cheat, my solution was to become vegan and buy 100% organic. I'm doing very good so far. But yes, I guess it's more expensive, but even as a student, I have enough to live. Specially because I don't drink alcohol, I don't go to restaurant etc. The only activities I do is: Go to school, watch tv shows and movies, walk and jog in the wood. That's all. So all my money goes in food and my apartment.

I'd like to become a vegan but i have a lot of food intolerances which results in my not being able to mix required items to get enough protien from a vegan diet.

stork_error said:
Damrod said:

I'd like to become a vegan but i have a lot of food intolerances which results in my not being able to mix required items to get enough protien from a vegan diet.
Gluten and nuts?

Damrod said:
stork_error said:
Damrod said:

Gluten and nuts?

gluten ( wheat, barley, rye spelt kamut), nuts, beans, legumes, soy and flaxseeds.

Latest posts

Back