Is it just self esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Coldplayer234

Well, recently I've been cross dressing and trying to look like a boy, I have a boy haircut and I've been using a stomach binder to hide my chest, I do know that I shouldn't be doing this...but I'm desperate for an alternative. I've told my parents if I could get a chest binder but my dad has the fear of getting his credit card hacked again. To get to the point, I feel much confident and prettier or handsome, when I cross dress and look like a boy. I feel that I might get more respect and I will make friends easier and be myself more. When I was younger I was a tomboy and I think I had thoughts of being a boy at the back of my mind. I have excessive hair, having thick sideburns and being so hairy compared to other girls, I felt that I might be a boy. I think I shaped myself into believing all this by how genders are supposed to be by society. What triggered me to cross dress recently is when I started to hang out with a group of guys, first it was getting haircuts and then cross dressing. Right now I have a desire of getting a deeper voice, I don't want surgery, mostly hormone therapy. I'm confused if this is just self esteem or a phase.

Why shouldn't you be doing it?

Also, if you're interested in hormone therapy then you should definitely check it out and do some research on it. If you're getting it through proper medical/health service channels, then I'm pretty sure they'll have you evaluated or have you go through a couple of therapy sessions or something to ensure that this isn't just a phase or anything.

In fact, that might not be a bad idea in general. If you can find someone who specializes in cross-dressing or transgender issues, then it couldn't hurt to talk to them a bit just to get a feel for everything and to more fully understand where you're at and what you're feeling.

So in short:

Whether it's self-esteem or a phase, it wouldn't hurt to explore it a bit and try to understand your feelings and your position more clearly.

Badjedidude said:
Why shouldn't you be doing it?

Also, if you're interested in hormone therapy then you should definitely check it out and do some research on it. If you're getting it through proper medical/health service channels, then I'm pretty sure they'll have you evaluated or have you go through a couple of therapy sessions or something to ensure that this isn't just a phase or anything.

In fact, that might not be a bad idea in general. If you can find someone who specializes in cross-dressing or transgender issues, then it couldn't hurt to talk to them a bit just to get a feel for everything and to more fully understand where you're at and what you're feeling.

So in short:

Whether it's self-esteem or a phase, it wouldn't hurt to explore it a bit and try to understand your feelings and your position more clearly.
Thank you :) I researched about hormone therapy and the side effects are scary but I would still take it and watch my health. I have a therapist for depression and I talked to her about this today and she said the same thing. I should research and give it time. I want to know when I can start hormone therapy but I think it's at 18, I feel that I might want to start earlier than that. I'm going to look for a psychologist that majors in this.

If being a boy makes you more comfortable, there is no reason at all for you not to do it, so stop being so hard on yourself about that. If this is the way you feel you should be, then go for it and don't worry about it so much.
Because of what you said about the chest binder, I assume your family is okay with it, too? So, that's a good thing. You are young, but I don't really feel that means anything in terms of doing something or not doing something, but I would give anything invasive or that may have side effects serious thought before you go through with it. That's true with everything like that, though, not just getting a deeper voice and whatnot.

Be who you feel you are, not who you were born as. It's your life and you should be happy and comfortable with yourself. If that's as a boy, then go for it and be happy :)

TheRealCallie said:
If being a boy makes you more comfortable, there is no reason at all for you not to do it, so stop being so hard on yourself about that. If this is the way you feel you should be, then go for it and don't worry about it so much.
Because of what you said about the chest binder, I assume your family is okay with it, too? So, that's a good thing. You are young, but I don't really feel that means anything in terms of doing something or not doing something, but I would give anything invasive or that may have side effects serous through before you go through with it. That's true with everything like that, though, not just getting a deeper voice and whatnot.

Be who you feel you are, not who you were born as. It's your life and you should be happy and comfortable with yourself. If that's as a boy, than go for it and be happy :)
Thank you :)

I think you should go for what you identify with more. Learn yourself and know yourself. And don't let anyone or anything else define you.

VanillaCreme said:
I think you should go for what you identify with more. Learn yourself and know yourself. And don't let anyone or anything else define you.
Thank you for the wise words :)

Hi Coldplayer.

I agree with the others, you are young & have time to figure out what you really want for yourself.

You are doing nothing wrong by investigating how acting & looking like a boy makes you feel.

Looking for someone to guide you with professional experience is a good idea too.

Be who you feel most comfortable being. Don't worry about other peoples opinion do what's best for you :)

*hugs* ^ like what they say - be comfortable with who you are, it's the best thing you can do for yourself and you deserve that, anyone would for themselves. Whatever you are trying, I hope it works out for you.

Alma lost her spoon said:
Hi Coldplayer.

I agree with the others, you are young & have time to figure out what you really want for yourself.

You are doing nothing wrong by investigating how acting & looking like a boy makes you feel.

Looking for someone to guide you with professional experience is a good idea too.
Hi :) I found a clinic in Los Angeles that specializes in this kind of stuff and I'm waiting for them to to answer my general questions about making an appointment and stuff. I told my parents about it. Thank you.

LonesomeLoner said:
Be who you feel most comfortable being. Don't worry about other peoples opinion do what's best for you :)
Thank you :)

ladyforsaken said:
*hugs* ^ like what they say - be comfortable with who you are, it's the best thing you can do for yourself and you deserve that, anyone would for themselves. Whatever you are trying, I hope it works out for you.
Hug :) Thank you

Think very carefully before you do anything serious. Here's something to help. I know it's the wrong way, but you could look around a bit. You are not alone.
[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epDPui27QZQ[/video]

Nothing wrong with you. There are specialized therapists if you ever decide you might want to get started on some kind of hormones. They can help you figure out what's going on inside your head.

Although I agree with people here that you should do what makes you comfortable, I would just suggest not jumping the gun so quickly.
Change like this is really big, and it will affect you in the future really a lot, for better or worse.
You have to think this through VERY THOUGHTFULLY, before you do this (meaning, taking it all the way to the end).
Really think about it as well as you can, before you decide to do it. Is there really no part of you wanting to be a girl? Perhaps boyfrieds, later kids, shopping? Arent you doing it only out of acceptance? Only because of friends? Do you really like mens world all that better? Its not all that sweet.
These and thousands of other questions should be answered before you do anything drastic.
And also, if you have never really been into the girls world (maybe lacking female friends or?), you may not know if it would suit you.
Perhaps if you have some friend to trust, he/she can help you sort these thoughts.

But anyways, just dont be too rash to force any premature decisions. But if you still come to the conclusion at the end, I have nothing to say:)
Just be sure that what you do is really something you want, like really really something you want, and not something you were made to believe, or just looking for any way to change you social status.
Just be careful with this, its a big big decision.

Mr.YellowCat said:
Although I agree with people here that you should do what makes you comfortable, I would just suggest not jumping the gun so quickly.
Change like this is really big, and it will affect you in the future really a lot, for better or worse.
You have to think this through VERY THOUGHTFULLY, before you do this (meaning, taking it all the way to the end).
Really think about it as well as you can, before you decide to do it. Is there really no part of you wanting to be a girl? Perhaps boyfrieds, later kids, shopping? Arent you doing it only out of acceptance? Only because of friends? Do you really like mens world all that better? Its not all that sweet.
These and thousands of other questions should be answered before you do anything drastic.
And also, if you have never really been into the girls world (maybe lacking female friends or?), you may not know if it would suit you.
Perhaps if you have some friend to trust, he/she can help you sort these thoughts.

But anyways, just dont be too rash to force any premature decisions. But if you still come to the conclusion at the end, I have nothing to say:)
Just be sure that what you do is really something you want, like really really something you want, and not something you were made to believe, or just looking for any way to change you social status.
Just be careful with this, its a big big decision.
Thank you :) I haven't thought much about those questions you asked.

Latest posts

Back