should i stay or go?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayme89

Reaction score
I graduated college in May 2013 and have been living at home with my mom, dad, and 3 younger sisters ever since. After many horrible jobs I've managed to secure full time employment at a place that I enjoy and pays decently (basically above minimum wage). I'm 25 years old and applying to graduate school now and hope to begin in Aug 2015. My mother assumes that I will stay home until then and tells me I need to be saving money to help with my grad school expenses but I feel like I really want to move out. I work in the city but live 30 minutes away from my job in the country/suburbs so there is NO social life here for a single 25 year old. I have 1 friend and we're both in the same predicament. We're both adults who live at home and have no social life. I'm 25 years old and my sisters range in age from 10-14 years old, suffice to say I don't feel like I can be an adult living at home with my parents. There's no going out on the town and coming in late for me. I tried that a few times and was always made to feel awkward and uncomfortable about it. And there's especially no dating for me.

I know saving money would be a good thing to do, but even if I manage to save $4,000-$6,000 in the next year that will only help me out with a little bit of my housing expenses for one year of grad school, It really won't put that much of a dent in my overall college dent in my opinion.

So should I go with my gut and move to the city with a friend so I can actually be an independent adult and attempt to have some sort of a social life or should I be responsible and stay at home and save? I guess I'm just nervous I'll make the wrong decision. any advice is appreciated.

You decide when you leave, not your parents.

You decide if you think it is necessary to stay at home to save for these things.

You can do your own maths.

I personally don't think it's necessary to stay based on what you said. Just make sure that if you leave, you have a detailed plan for how you'll fund everything (such as with a job and a loan).

i say >> GO...you're only in your 20s for a brief time and time passes so quickly...there is something to be said for 'nothing ventured nothing gained'...get out there and have a great time while you're still young...millions of other 20-somethings are out there multitasking the same things that you will soon be doing >> on your own, socializing and continuing your studies...everything in moderation or not...live it up!!!:)

If I were you, I'd go. I'm planning on moving out too sometime in the near future. My family depends on me, solely me, way too much. So if I don't cut it, it'll never end and I'll never have a life.

So do what you feel will make you happy, but also be careful and make sure you plan ahead of time and know what you're doing and what you're getting into. It'll be exciting - no matter how challenging it gets, it's always an experience you'll learn from.

Good luck!

jayme89 said:
I graduated college in May 2013 and have been living at home with my mom, dad, and 3 younger sisters ever since. After many horrible jobs I've managed to secure full time employment at a place that I enjoy and pays decently (basically above minimum wage). I'm 25 years old and applying to graduate school now and hope to begin in Aug 2015. My mother assumes that I will stay home until then and tells me I need to be saving money to help with my grad school expenses but I feel like I really want to move out. I work in the city but live 30 minutes away from my job in the country/suburbs so there is NO social life here for a single 25 year old. I have 1 friend and we're both in the same predicament. We're both adults who live at home and have no social life. I'm 25 years old and my sisters range in age from 10-14 years old, suffice to say I don't feel like I can be an adult living at home with my parents. There's no going out on the town and coming in late for me. I tried that a few times and was always made to feel awkward and uncomfortable about it. And there's especially no dating for me.

I know saving money would be a good thing to do, but even if I manage to save $4,000-$6,000 in the next year that will only help me out with a little bit of my housing expenses for one year of grad school, It really won't put that much of a dent in my overall college dent in my opinion.

So should I go with my gut and move to the city with a friend so I can actually be an independent adult and attempt to have some sort of a social life or should I be responsible and stay at home and save? I guess I'm just nervous I'll make the wrong decision. any advice is appreciated.

I did the responsible thing. In my case it pretty much killed the experience. If I could do it over I would go out on my own.

Go
And don't look back.
Life experience is far more educational and valuable than a college degree.

Could you and your friend, the one you said is in the same situation, rent a place together? It would help with the bills and you would have someone to go to places with.

Tiina63 said:
Could you and your friend, the one you said is in the same situation, rent a place together? It would help with the bills and you would have someone to go to places with.

yes thats exactly the plan.

You have a full time job and a college degree; you're more than capable of living on your own. Fly away, little bird! You'll be just fine.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
You have a full time job and a college degree; you're more than capable of living on your own. Fly away, little bird! You'll be just fine.

-Teresa

thank you :D

jayme89 said:

I think you should move to the city. You are 25, it's not good to still be a dependant. I lived with my parents untill I was about 27, so I had the same lifestyle at 27 as when I was 16. When I moved out I found it hard and I had not really grown up.

Your going to be an undergrad, you are your own man now, time to make your own life?

And money does not matter. Living matters. Come the next crash anything you have saved will likely be worthless anyhow. There will either be a post-money era or humans will go extinct. Live for today, it's all your really have.

as mentioned, YOU decide when you leave or not.

My advice though, is move out. It'll be a fun experience, and will only affect you positively

You say you got a job and a degree, you're ready to go!
That's my personal plan for the next year when I graduate, as there is nothing to do in my area

Latest posts

Back