Lies; a weird perspective

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninasju

Reaction score
I've lied a lot in my life. I can't see any difference between a white lie and a lie, I just think there's always a reason when you're not being honest
There are so many people that claims they can't stand lying but omg the hypocrisy, would they've preferred as kids to know that grandma actually did suffer before she died, or exactly what their friends think about their habits?
I'm not trying to insult anyone, and I'm not encouraging lying I just think it's natural/nessecary (and there's a big difference between lying about everything always and sometimes lying.)

Anyway, that's my perspective/opinion

I also prefer the truth. Lying is always bad even if intentions are good. My parents never lied too me, if my drawing was horrible they said that. If my cat was hit by a car they didn't make a happy story of that.

If you find out that someone lied to you it's hard to trust again, even if this a little untruth.

Nobody is saint for sure but I don't used to lie, I even can't. When I did it always ended badly so for me it's very impractical perspective.

Everybody lies, it's a part of life. Whether it's a parent telling a child that Santa Claus is real or a lover lying to their other half about where they've been, everyone is guilty of it at some point in their life.

lifestream said:
Everybody lies, it's a part of life. Whether it's a parent telling a child that Santa Claus is real or a lover lying to their other half about where they've been, everyone is guilty of it at some point in their life.

Yeah that's kinda what I was trying to say... I appreciate someone recognizing my perspective :)

Dandelion said:
it's more painful to learn the truth after being lied to.

It sure is, especially if that person is/was close to you.

I live on reality. Yes some things are painful. I would rather know the truth. But there is a big diff between talking about how grandma died and telling someone you hate their haircut.

ninasju said:
lifestream said:

Yeah that's kinda what I was trying to say... I appreciate someone recognizing my perspective :)

Yes, we all lie at some point. I've lied too. But after going through some really painful experiences that involved lies.... I told myself that I will stop lying. Truth hurts, usually. But it's better. I'd still try to be as honest as I can in any situation, and if honesty does no good in a particular situation and isn't needed but required by someone, I'd evade the situation or the topic.... I still won't lie.

I do note that people do lie and all that. That's up to them, I can't control what people do, but that's why I also have major trust issues.

ninasju said:
I've lied a lot in my life. I can't see any difference between a white lie and a lie, I just think there's always a reason when you're not being honest
There are so many people that claims they can't stand lying but omg the hypocrisy, would they've preferred as kids to know that grandma actually did suffer before she died, or exactly what their friends think about their habits?
I'm not trying to insult anyone, and I'm not encouraging lying I just think it's natural/nessecary (and there's a big difference between lying about everything always and sometimes lying.)

Anyway, that's my perspective/opinion
There is indeed a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to lying.
As you see in this topic, so many people claim to want to know the truth but how many of them actually want to know things like their partner has easily noticed that you've gained weight lately, or that the retail-clerk really doesn't want to help you at all, or, as you pointed out, that people suffer sometimes.

I'm not trying to say everyone in this topic is a hypocrite, I don't know them, but the fact is simple. The vast majority never want to know the truth at all. In fact, they delude themselves constantly as they willingly surround themselves with constant lies.

Our entire society is built upon lies.
In fact that's pretty much what governments are designed to do. Build the lies and keep them coming. To mass produce lies.
Anything to blind the people so they can go about their routine, as they always have, being unaffected by the world around them. It's what they want.

And all the while, the illusion of this cannot be complete without suggesting that our society is based on truth. Without that key lie, it all falls apart.

Lies are such an integral part of daily life for most people that the truth itself, when exposed, is almost always disregarded and even hated by a large part of the populace. Often times hated indirectly, because when there is nothing that can be done the people take the hate inward.

Even now, this post is likely taken as something harmful, even malicious, I'm sure.

The truth is painful to hold. And in reality, truth doesn't really provide much of an advantage to anything. In many cases it's completely useless, especially given how deep set the illusions are.
So it is understandable why practically no one wants it.

I do get what you're saying and it makes sense what you're saying. But I just want to comment on some things.

Despicable Me said:
As you see in this topic, so many people claim to want to know the truth but how many of them actually want to know things like their partner has easily noticed that you've gained weight lately, or that the retail-clerk really doesn't want to help you at all, or, as you pointed out, that people suffer sometimes.

There is a difference between lying and not stating certain facts to people. There's a discretion you make when you interact with people, what's rude and what's not, what's appropriate and what's not. It doesn't mean you have to lie. Not saying it out loud does not mean you're lying. Like I said, I would evade the topic or the situation if I don't see that telling a fact or truth to someone helps in any way.

Personally, I'd rather have my partner tell me things like that than keep it to himself and who knows, harbour whatever assumptions or who knows what. It's also to make me realise what's going on if I'm not aware. Maybe I'm putting on weight because I've been so stressed - and him noticing it might give me a wake-up call. I know it doesn't work with everyone, but just stating that I'm not like this. That said, I don't mind either if he prefers to keep it to himself, so long as he doesn't start any unnecessary or negative thoughts.

Despicable Me said:
Even now, this post is likely taken as something harmful, even malicious, I'm sure.

The truth is painful to hold. And in reality, truth doesn't really provide much of an advantage to anything. In many cases it's completely useless, especially given how deep set the illusions are.
So it is understandable why practically no one wants it.

Your post isn't harmful or malicious, a lot of people might resonate with you on your thoughts but then there are also those who don't feel the same way but that doesn't mean anyone's wrong. Just differing opinions.

The truth always hurts, but I believe that in most cases it does provide much advantage to the people involved. I'm not gonna talk about politics and honeysuckle cos it'll get nowhere and nothing can be done but I'm talking about real people who have real feelings and conscience. I want the truth. If my partner doesn't have feelings for me anymore or wants to see someone else, I would hope he tells me as soon as he starts feeling it because it's really not nice being lied to about that. So you're kinda wrong to say that no one wants it. But I get that maybe you meant to say, some people might not want it... cos I am saying right now, I'd rather have the truth anytime.

As someone who's been cheated on and lied to - I wish I would've known sooner. How I really wish, I would've known sooner...

There are some people who use "Oh, I am just being Honest" as an excuse to hurt people. Yeah, your opinion may be hurtful. But, it isn't dishonest to not always express your opinion. I may not like the food that someone has cooked for me. But, that doesnt' mean I should have the liberty to hurt their feelings. There is something GOOD you can say in almost every situation if you really look for it. You don't have to say "oh this is delicious". You don't have to lie. You can compliment their effort, the place setting, etc. There are many, many ways to praise people. If you are always in the position to offer negative opinions, then ask yourself why? Are you only viewing the negative? And, being "honest" is not a reason to unload hurt onto others.

There are varying degrees of lying, and also lying by omission (leaving out just enough detail in order to alter the reality of a given situation).

ladyforsaken said:
There is a difference between lying and not stating certain facts to people. There's a discretion you make when you interact with people, what's rude and what's not, what's appropriate and what's not. It doesn't mean you have to lie. Not saying it out loud does not mean you're lying. Like I said, I would evade the topic or the situation if I don't see that telling a fact or truth to someone helps in any way.
Yes, definitely. There is definitely a difference there and I don't want to marginalize that. Many people do believe 'omission' is still lying, but I'm actually in agreement with you there. If someone is simply just keeping to themselves I don't really consider it lying.
In fact the difference here is why I rarely ever talk to people anymore. To hide the things people don't really want to know, even if it might be helpful to them. I just can't stand people's reactions anymore, good or bad. Especially to trivial or minor things. My life is so much easier if I just don't talk at all sometimes.

Anyway, all I was saying is that in the larger scope these are just things people don't really want to know even if they had the choice to know. It's why many of us learn not to ask certain questions, like how the clerk is doing at the local convenience store when he's giving us a nasty stare. I don't know about you, but I honestly don't want to know their problems if people are going to treat me like that.

ladyforsaken said:
Personally, I'd rather have my partner tell me things like that than keep it to himself and who knows, harbour whatever assumptions or who knows what. It's also to make me realise what's going on if I'm not aware. Maybe I'm putting on weight because I've been so stressed - and him noticing it might give me a wake-up call. I know it doesn't work with everyone, but just stating that I'm not like this. That said, I don't mind either if he prefers to keep it to himself, so long as he doesn't start any unnecessary or negative thoughts.
There's exceptions, of course.
Most people, at least of all the people I've met in my life, just plain don't want to know the truth very often. And when they say they do want to know, you can actually tell by the way they react that they really didn't. You can easily tell they were happier just not knowing, or just hearing a 'white lie', or even a blatant lie.

Emperor's new clothes and all that.

ladyforsaken said:
Your post isn't harmful or malicious, a lot of people might resonate with you on your thoughts but then there are also those who don't feel the same way but that doesn't mean anyone's wrong. Just differing opinions.
Well let's just say, I've 'neutralized' a lot of what I could have said in a manner to avoid the 'usual kind of response'. And I'm sure there are many "opinions" of what I just said, anyway.

ladyforsaken said:
The truth always hurts, but I believe that in most cases it does provide much advantage to the people involved. I'm not gonna talk about politics and honeysuckle cos it'll get nowhere and nothing can be done but I'm talking about real people who have real feelings and conscience. I want the truth. If my partner doesn't have feelings for me anymore or wants to see someone else, I would hope he tells me as soon as he starts feeling it because it's really not nice being lied to about that. So you're kinda wrong to say that no one wants it. But I get that maybe you meant to say, some people might not want it... cos I am saying right now, I'd rather have the truth anytime.
You're speaking entirely of 'person to person', though. You said yourself you're not speaking of politics and things of that matter.
But I am speaking on a more general, social level. From person-to-person that you meet on the street, whose name you don't even know. And your governments who decide the laws, whose reasons which you don't know and could not know even if you tried everything you could to do so.

On a more intimate level, partner to partner, friend to friend, etc., yeah there's lots of people who might want to know more about what's going on than not, but that's really just a tiny, tiny piece of the cake overall.
It's hard to say that when most of us here have so few social connections, but it really is true. Even when we're completely alone on the personal level, we still have so many levels of society above us: Neighborhood, Community, State, Region, Nation, World, to name each one. All part of human society. We're deeply affected by each one of these things, despite not really realizing it or noticing it much. These aren't just small effects, either. Some are major issues in our life, but we feel hopeless. Your reference to politics as being 'nothing can be done' is certainly a perspective quite common to our society. But since we're speaking of the truth... Let me ask. Is that the absolute truth?

Our society is built lies upon lies. To the point where sometimes we think we know the truth, but all along that 'truth' was built upon a lie given us all along that we failed to question. We're all guilty of this, because we're all built on this same foundation.
Royal lines, Imperialism, Slavery, Racism, Nazism, Religious Persecution, Nationalism, Politics, Capitalism, etc.. No matter the issue or context, it's built upon things that we do not question. Things that were there when we were born, things that rock everything, the whole world, if we dare to question them. And if you look at this list, some of those things have indeed rocked the whole world when they were questioned. Some, on the other hand, rocked the world when they were not being questioned.

Obviously I do not look so fondly upon society, but I still have to disagree with you. The truth doesn't provide much of an advantage to anyone personally. The truth needs to be openly accepted by many, or at least things must be questioned publicly, for there to be any reasonable impact on individual lives.
Or, maybe I should say it this way: The truth must be accepted at the highest level of the issue. If it's a personal matter between you and your partner, then of course the only one who needs to accept it is you or your partner. There is no real issue above that level. For a community problem, the community must accept the problem, not just a hanful of individuals. A state problem, the state must accept the problem and not just one community or a few people, and so on, etc.

ladyforsaken said:
As someone who's been cheated on and lied to - I wish I would've known sooner. How I really wish, I would've known sooner...
Sadly, there are even people in this world in the same situation who wish they never knew at all.
Even then, I do have some sympathy for those people. What real advantage in life does knowing the truth give them? Many of them are worse off knowing the truth, facing the truth, and accepting the truth, than to simply just pretend like everything is okay.

I'm sorry that happened to you, though. I know how world-shattering that can be.
Sometimes the truth brings the possibility of better futures, and sometimes we wish we could have known before, so that we would already possess that future. I know feeling extremely well, but I personally feel that it's not worth dwelling on. I smile for who I am now, what decisions I've made to bring me here, and I move on. I hope you can do the same.

Lying via omission is no different than outright lying, when one person is manipulating events to prevent the other person from knowing the truth.
My ex GF is a pathological liar. She is quite skilled at controlling and framing situations so that you believe what she says - even when it is an outright lie, or, by leaving things out. She knows she needs help to deal with her mental disorders, but she prefers to live her life the way she is comfy - to lie to gain whatever she needs. It's sad, really. It took quite some time for the fog to lift and for me to accept everything. When she would admit fault, it was only to a minimum degree, because to tell me the truth, I would have bailed on her a lot sooner.
So, yes, in some instances, lying by omission is no different than lying.

Lying via omission to conceal truth can be lying, of course. If you leave out information for your own personal gain to manipulate situations, yes. But, I am not obligated to blather my opinions about everything and anything. That isn't "omission" to keep me thoughts to myself nor is it lying.

ABrokenMan said:
Lying via omission is no different than outright lying, when one person is manipulating events to prevent the other person from knowing the truth.
My ex GF is a pathological liar. She is quite skilled at controlling and framing situations so that you believe what she says - even when it is an outright lie, or, by leaving things out. She knows she needs help to deal with her mental disorders, but she prefers to live her life the way she is comfy - to lie to gain whatever she needs. It's sad, really. It took quite some time for the fog to lift and for me to accept everything. When she would admit fault, it was only to a minimum degree, because to tell me the truth, I would have bailed on her a lot sooner.
So, yes, in some instances, lying by omission is no different than lying.
If someone is intentionally manipulating the truth by omitting important information, then I'd agree that is just as bad as lying.
But where do we draw the line with that?

Let's say you have info about someone's affair. Telling the partner would mean the end of that marriage and a broken family. And would they even believe you? Do you want to be the one who tells them about it, hurting them deeply in the process?
... Is that lying to keep it to yourself? Is that bad? I... I honestly don't know. But my morals are already somewhat questionable so I'm not the best person to answer that question either.

To answer that would depend on several variables - there is no right or wrong answer, naturally.

What is the nature of the information?

How well do I know the person(s) involved in the relationship?
If one person was a best / extremely close friend, I would tell him / her.

If either person is just an acquaintance or someone familiar where little more than pleasantries are exchanged, i would keep my yapper shut.

Despicable Me said:
Well, I would like to know these things.
If someone doesn't like me I want to know. If my clothes makes me fat I also like to know. If my boyfriend cheating on me, if I hurt or bother someone, if my dinner was tasteless... etc. Because why not? For easiest existance? It doesn't have any sens to me. For example I don't want to hear that I'm always beautiful, smart, nice, cool, blablabla... it's just boring and meaningless.

Despicable Me said:
Our entire society is built upon lies.
Yes, and our society sucks. If people kill it not mean that killing is normal or good.

Despicable Me said:
Without that key lie, it all falls apart.
I don't get your point. If people will be honest a huge part of problems on the world would cease to exist. Governments just want us to think that then will be chaos. Masters of manipulation, they manage to it.

I don't think that we have to say everything to everyone because we have our secrets and it's ok. But if lie hurts others... then it isn't ok. Lies in our times are used in a very evil purposes. Like "We fight for freedom" - and if that kind of lie is acceptable, then people don't bother theirself that they can hurt someone with a little lies like hiding that someone cheating on someone.

Truth also can hurts, but we don't have to say to someone that he is fat or he stinks. Because it's rude usually. And I can't call this "truth" at all, it's just being jerk.
ladyforsaken said:
Not saying it out loud does not mean you're lying.

ladyforsaken said:
If my partner doesn't have feelings for me anymore or wants to see someone else, I would hope he tells me as soon as he starts feeling it because it's really not nice being lied to about that.
Exactly. Someone told me once that we shouldn't say things like this for parnets because this leads to relationship breakdown and everybody have these feelings. How crazy! I don't understand that. Break up is good if we have feelings for someone else.

ladyforsaken said:
The truth always hurts
This means that life is always painfull, ugly, unfriendly, disgusting, lonely, worthless etc. Truth is just truth. There is always one truth even we create 100 lies. I can agree that truth is sometimes hard, but life if hard so it's normal. I don't understand why people see truth always as something hurtful.

Despicable Me said:
like how the clerk is doing at the local convenience store when he's giving us a nasty stare. I don't know about you, but I honestly don't want to know their problems if people are going to treat me like that.
But he is not a liar when he acts friendly to you even if he is sad inside. This means that he respect you and don't want to send bad energy to you. I always want to be happy for others, not everyone must know what problems do I have. This isn't lying in my opinion.

Despicable Me said:
You can easily tell they were happier just not knowing, or just hearing a 'white lie', or even a blatant lie.
But it's illusion of happiness.

Despicable Me said:
On a more intimate level, partner to partner, friend to friend, etc., yeah there's lots of people who might want to know more about what's going on than not, but that's really just a tiny, tiny piece of the cake overall.
But we must have examples and partner-partner or friend-friend is better than political discussion in this thread. Anyway I used some ;p

Despicable Me said:
If someone is intentionally manipulating the truth by omitting important information, then I'd agree that is just as lying.
But where do we draw the line with that?
This line is there where you start to hurt somebody in purpose. Where you interfere in anyone's freedom

Sorry if I misunderstand some parts. And I know that most people like to live in a lie world.

Latest posts

Back