Here goes nothing :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WallflowerGirl83

I'm learning how to play the guitar. I'm a beginner and I'm pretty slow at learning this but I don't wanna give up. Still have some trouble right now. I'd get myself a teacher but as of right now I can't go due to surgery. I got surgery done cause I had pre cancer cells on my cervix and it takes 3 weeks for in order it to heal.

If someone can help me out it be great. You can talk to me over Skype if you do play the guitar. Is anyone brave and willing on doing that? I know it's a lot to ask. You see I had a internet friend that was going to teach me how to play over Skype for free but he dropped it and he won't get back to me over skype so I feel like I got lied too.

I have my guitar all tuned up and have an amp, I just am having some trouble right now. Please answer this thread. If nobody can do this, it's seriously no big deal but I just thought I'd give it a shot and see what comes out of this.

I'm not keen on Skype. It never works very well for me.
I'm not a particularly great guitarist myself, but I'm happy to give out any advice I can.

One of the best things to do when starting is buy some simple chord song books for bands you like. They show you all the chords you need to play each song, you'll soon pick them up. It's a great way to start learning chords. Apologies if your more advanced than that.

What type of guitar/amp have you got?

I'd be more than happy to help you out, except I have a problem with Skype running smoothly on my laptop.
I tried it with a friend who lives in Spain and the program kept freezing up or just dropping out completely.

I've been playing for 35 years now (12 years in bands), the best advice I always give to someone completely new to the guitar is to learn the notes / pitch for each of the six strings (E A D G B E) and then once you have them memorized, you will be able to find any single note anywhere on the fretboard.

Also, exercises to gain finger dexterity are very important. I instruct beginners to use the one finger per fret technique.
Start on the 6th string (the thick, low E string), strike it "open" then strike it on the first fret using your index finger, the second fret with your middle finger, the third fret with your ring finger, and the 4th fret with your pinky. Then reverse direction using the same technique.

A lot of beginners want to learn how to play a song in quick fashion but unless you can gain dexterity to the point of being able to form and change chords, and move your hands / fingers to play scales, it is a losing battle that often leads to frustration and quitting altogether.

I've played over 10 years. I don't think I'm the greatest player in the world but I think I could maybe help. PM me about a possible skype?

By the way, I would strongly recommend the dexterity exercise ABrokenMan talked about though I'd also recommend that you use a metronome whilst doing it, once you feel comfortable in doing so.

Also the first song to learn to play is the intro to Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple - it's an unwritten rule ;)

h3donist I thought that was more of a bass thing! Haha, I know nothing about guitars. :3 But a really REALLY easy song to learn is Seven Nation Army. (For me atleast it was. :3 It's simple.) I find when I can do even the smallest thing, and succeed, it gives me confidence to go further and further.

Haven't heard from WallflowerGirl83 but I'm still up for this if she is.

Latest posts

Back