Difference between contentment and happiness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August Campbell

My ultimate dream came true.
Reaction score
In reading the various posts in this section, I see that most posters don't see the difference between happiness and contentment.
Contentment is better than happiness because happiness is only temporary and momentary. Let me explain by citing an example. For example, happiness is what you feel when your boss gives you a raise in salary. So for that moment and maybe a few days afterwards as well, you rejoice. Then after those few days, your emotion goes back down to its former, original level.

So happiness is occasional brief spurts of an emotion you feel at an unexpected but pleasant surprise, see what I mean?
But the emotion of contentment is not an occasional spurt. Instead it's an emotion that can be felt all the time despite whatever the circumstances. The practice of meditation aids greatly in achieving that state. Hopefully now I've clarified the difference between happiness and contentment. Don't be happy but instead be contented. In the spiritual state of Zen, in that state of contentment, you won't feel happy but you won't be sad either.

A good mantra is 'You could have more, but you could also have less. Things could be better, but they could also be worse'. I woke up this morning in a cosy house, rising from a comfortable, warm bed and filled my belly with a damned good breakfast. Not everybody can say that.

Happiness is important to me, the thrill of chasing the next up in my life and recovering from the previous down…

Contentment will be what I strive for at 45, when I feel my personal value will be at a level where being content would be the best I can hope for.

No emotion is, 'superior,' or, 'better,' than any other. Contentment is not, 'above,' happiness.

To me, contentment is likened to, a very subtle, yet supremely sublime walk in the park. Others may not even be aware of the bliss you are experiencing. While happiness could be likened to, getting exactly what you wanted for your birthday and being very happy about it; or the mutual delight of two people getting married.

Contentment might be a fine cup of tea on a perfect day; or a nice sit on the porch during a gentle thunder storm.
While happiness might be coming home from work to your dog.

There's nothing wrong with either. One might prefer contentment, because their pursuit of happiness, or delight in happiness brought them pain; while one might avoid contentment, because it muffles and mutes the vivid sounds and colors of their ecstatic delight.

"Follow your bliss!"
-Joseph Campbell

Ah I deffo think all emotions and feelings are valid.

I have this romantic way of looking at life, that we all have our time in the sun.

So chasing fleeting happiness is something I value highly whilst I’m in my youth. When I’m over 45 I strive to be content, and have an overall satisfaction with the life I built around crazy moments and experiences in my youth.

I often feel like contentment is just about not letting the bad things get on top of you.

Latest posts

Back