Legalise it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunless Sky

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you guys think of recreational drug use? I am mostly referring to the devil's lettuce (weed for those unaware) and the slow push to legalise it in many parts of the world. It's a pretty dividing issue, some people hate it, call it a gateway to heroin, and others swear by it and toke on the daily. Some of the people who love it say it helps them with things like anxiety and overall general good mood and happiness.

I used to have a friend who smoked pretty regularly. I even accompanied him one time to a deal. He stopped since he said it affected his ability to concentrate and he felt was becoming reliant on it.

I would love to hear from anyone about this issue but especially from users or recovering or sober people.

Also, there are some countries that are even considering legalising all recreational drug use. It's been implemented in parts of the world. The idea is to decriminalise it in order to reduce or eliminate drug related crimes.

One last thing, studies are out (not recent) that indicate that alcohol use is more damaging to long term health than marijuana. Which is why, since alcohol is legal, weed should be legal as well. So, with that in mind, should alcohol be heavily restricted/criminalised? (I know this was previously attempted during prohibition with disastrous results. I just want to hear personal opinions)

If anyone has any input about psychedelics like LSD and magic mushrooms, that would be appreciated as well.

Long post I know, thanks for reading.

Hang ten.

Marijuana is, in my opinion, safer than alcohol and cigarettes from a health (physical and mental) perspective, so why the hell not?
Anything else....no, keep it illegal. Maybe get a "medical" card for some things that have been shown to help certain things IN SMALL DOSES, but that's it.

alcohol is legal,
Alcohol is legal because they tried to make it illegal and it made things worse. If they tried it today, it would likely start WW3, 4 and 5. I feel alcohol is abused and should go away because there are way too many people who can't handle it and abuse it and ruin their lives (and often other people's lives) because of it.

Marijuana is, in my opinion, safer than alcohol and cigarettes from a health (physical and mental) perspective, so why the hell not?
Anything else....no, keep it illegal. Maybe get a "medical" card for some things that have been shown to help certain things IN SMALL DOSES, but that's it.

Alcohol is legal because they tried to make it illegal and it made things worse. If they tried it today, it would likely start WW3, 4 and 5. I feel alcohol is abused and should go away because there are way too many people who can't handle it and abuse it and ruin their lives (and often other people's lives) because of it.
From what I've observed, prolonged usage of marijuana can have adverse psychological effects. I get it if its prescribed for like cancer patients and people dealing with chronic pain but for things like anxiety? Unless it's severe to the point of being debilitating, I just think a combination of therapy and introspection to address the root causes are better options and just relying on weed for anxiety can be a crutch in the long run.

Let me give another example, I was hanging out with this guy and his girlfriend. They were both smoking weed. The boyfriend then said he was getting sick of it and wanted to quit and that he would stop buying it. The girlfriend then broke down in tears, got on her hands and knees and begged him not to since she was scared to buy it herself. She said and I quote "I can't live without it". Now sure, she had issues besides that but she used weed to cope for so long that it became a dependence.

Don't you think that weed becoming legal just opens the door for people to abuse it in order to cope with their issues instead of doing so in a healthy, constructive way?

Don't you think that weed becoming legal just opens the door for people to abuse it in order to cope with their issues instead of doing so in a healthy, constructive way?
Legal or illegal, people still smoke it. Same with hard drugs, honestly. Same with alcohol.

Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Until the new strains of marijuana, it was impossible to be addicted to marijuana and honestly, I think (my own opinion, people) even now it's more mind over matter than actual addiction. It's more you don't WANT to stop than CAN'T. The word "addiction" is overused in today's world. Seems you can be "addicted" to virtually anything now.

People don't seem to want "healthy and constructive," it's too hard. They want a magic fix, so they use alcohol and drugs to temporarily "fix" their problems....without realizing that "temporary fix" is actually making them worse.

Last edited:
Legal or illegal, people still smoke it. Same with hard drugs, honestly. Same with alcohol.

Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Unless the new strains of marijuana, it was impossible to be addicted to marijuana and honestly, I think (my own opinion, people) even now it's more mind over matter than actual addiction. It's more you don't WANT to stop than CAN'T. The word "addiction" is overused in today's world. Seems you can be "addicted" to virtually anything now.

People don't seem to want "healthy and constructive," it's too hard. They want a magic fix, so they use alcohol and drugs to temporarily "fix" their problems....without realizing that "temporary fix" is actually making them worse.
So, regarding the topic of addiction and how it has proliferated the zeitgeist of the people as of late as you said. Do you think there really is a genetic component to addiction or is that an excuse made up to dodge responsibility and gain sympathy?

So, regarding the topic of addiction and how it has proliferated the zeitgeist of the people as of late as you said. Do you think there really is a genetic component to addiction or is that an excuse made up to dodge responsibility and gain sympathy?
I think there are components in the drugs (whether alcohol or drugs) that aid in the addiction. I also think there is a mind over matter there because of the fact that you can't/won't get help until YOU want the help or until you hit rock bottom. That alone indicates, at least to me, that there is a mind over matter in nearly everything in life, but with certain things that isn't enough. Alcohol is legal, even though we all know what it does to some people. Marijuana is legal, even though we all know what it does to some people. Hard drugs are NOT legal, because we all know what it does to people.

As for sympathy, I don't think they want that. I think they want to be left alone to do what they want to do. Most people who are alcoholics/drug addicts won't admit they have a problem. They don't want to hear about it, it often angers them when they do hear about it. So yeah, I think it's both a chemical component and how it mixes with the brain AND mind over matter. I don't think human genetics have anything to do with it. I don't think alcoholism is hereditary, I think it's a learned behavior. Daddy/mommy drinks, so I will too and then it becomes a problem for them too because they don't want to control it and drink or do drugs (talking marijuana here, there is no responsible in the hard honeysuckle) responsibly.

That said, going back to marijuana, it is a fact that it is much more potent than it was when people were growing it illegally and smoking it, so what did they do to it? They made it stronger, maybe they made it more addictive. There is even a "new" disease out there....Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)....that people are getting A LOT that was never really an issue before BECAUSE it is so much stronger now.

I think there are components in the drugs (whether alcohol or drugs) that aid in the addiction. I also think there is a mind over matter there because of the fact that you can't/won't get help until YOU want the help or until you hit rock bottom. That alone indicates, at least to me, that there is a mind over matter in nearly everything in life, but with certain things that isn't enough. Alcohol is legal, even though we all know what it does to some people. Marijuana is legal, even though we all know what it does to some people. Hard drugs are NOT legal, because we all know what it does to people.

As for sympathy, I don't think they want that. I think they want to be left alone to do what they want to do. Most people who are alcoholics/drug addicts won't admit they have a problem. They don't want to hear about it, it often angers them when they do hear about it. So yeah, I think it's both a chemical component and how it mixes with the brain AND mind over matter. I don't think human genetics have anything to do with it. I don't think alcoholism is hereditary, I think it's a learned behavior. Daddy/mommy drinks, so I will too and then it becomes a problem for them too because they don't want to control it and drink or do drugs (talking marijuana here, there is no responsible in the hard honeysuckle) responsibly.

That said, going back to marijuana, it is a fact that it is much more potent than it was when people were growing it illegally and smoking it, so what did they do to it? They made it stronger, maybe they made it more addictive. There is even a "new" disease out there....Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)....that people are getting A LOT that was never really an issue before BECAUSE it is so much stronger now.
I see. If you don't mind my asking, are you speaking from experience? Have you struggled with some form of addiction or have/had someone in your life who did?

I see. If you don't mind my asking, are you speaking from experience? Have you struggled with some form of addiction or have/had someone in your life who did?

I did have an issue with alcohol as a teenager, but I'm not sure I would call it addiction. Aside form that, I was in an abusive relationship (more emotional than physical) for a decade and that can be a form of addiction, though a lot of people would probably argue/dismiss that. Those are my struggles.

As for someone in my life. Yes, my ex was an alcoholic (the same one mentioned in my struggles), many of family members have struggled with either alcoholism or drug addiction and I have had many friends and acquaintances who have as well. Some of them have died from it, some of them have recovered from it, but the many of them are still in the throws of it.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. You know, I used to volunteer with a recovering heroin addict. He told me that addicts never fully recover and that the pull is always there no matter how long it's been and to take things one day at a time.

I know you don't consider your alcohol consumption an addiction but did you ever feel something similar?

Legal weed and shrooms would be great for a lot of adults. Still crazy to me how alcohol is so wide spread. Also completely insane how in recent usa history we passed out clean crack pipes and needles to junkies.

I love so many drugs myself. I've done so many drugs. I don't do drugs now and that's not a difficult decision to make. I do wish I had easier access to pot and shrooms though.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. You know, I used to volunteer with a recovering heroin addict. He told me that addicts never fully recover and that the pull is always there no matter how long it's been and to take things one day at a time.
This is definitely true. My uncle (an alcoholic) was sober for 10 years, when one night, he thought it would be okay to have a drink. Several drinks later and he had another DUI. Expensive mistake to make for him....but he's been sober for 4 years again now. So yeah, one day at a time is all you can do. That is actually true for everything in life.

I know you don't consider your alcohol consumption an addiction but did you ever feel something similar?
Well, the reason I don't consider it addiction is because I don't think I can be addicted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to test that theory, but I essentially have a super liver. It processes things so fast that I'm not sure I could get and keep the high long enough to be addicted unless I did drugs/alcohol constantly and daily. Hell, I've never had a pain killer that worked for me and I've been prescribed a lot of them. The non pain killer meds, I have to be on the highest dose for them to do anything.

Legal weed and shrooms would be great for a lot of adults. Still crazy to me how alcohol is so wide spread. Also completely insane how in recent usa history we passed out clean crack pipes and needles to junkies.

I love so many drugs myself. I've done so many drugs. I don't do drugs now and that's not a difficult decision to make. I do wish I had easier access to pot and shrooms though.
Have you ever done LSD? If so, how was your trip?

I ask because I have a friend of mine who has done a lot of drugs and he told me that everyone should try LSD at least once. Says it can be a real eye opening experience.

I ask because I have a friend of mine who has done a lot of drugs and he told me that everyone should try LSD at least once. Says it can be a real eye opening experience.

I have tried pretty much everything, including LSD and the hard honeysuckle. Most just once because it didn't do much for me or I just didn't care for it. I've never been a fan of the psychedelic drugs. I didn't have a bad trip or anything like that. Not much happened at all, to be honest. Maybe I didn't take enough, maybe it just didn't work on me, I don't know, but it was only the once.

Of the drugs I've used (weed/hash, cocaine, mushrooms, LSD), LSD was, by far, my favourite. Weed made me super quiet and paranoid, cocaine didn't really do much at all, nor mushrooms. LSD, however, was lovely. I remember one trip in particular where I was camped out in a fairly private part of a local public park. There was a bike trail not far from where we set up camp and I remember sitting there watching a rider go along the trail. Visually, though, it was like watching a series of individual vignettes or snapshots, rather than the normal smooth experience of watching an object quickly go by. Imagine taking a camera and shooting a series of photographs of something fast, just a few milliseconds one after the other, then piecing them all back together - it was like that. I didn't experience anything profound or God-like if that's what your friend is insinuating by 'eye-opening', but I did find the (often psychedelic) visual disturbances very fascinating. It was always good vibes with LSD for me. :)

Of the drugs I've used (weed/hash, cocaine, mushrooms, LSD), LSD was, by far, my favourite. Weed made me super quiet and paranoid, cocaine didn't really do much at all, nor mushrooms. LSD, however, was lovely. I remember one trip in particular where I was camped out in a fairly private part of a local public park. There was a bike trail not far from where we set up camp and I remember sitting there watching a rider go along the trail. Visually, though, it was like watching a series of individual vignettes or snapshots, rather than the normal smooth experience of watching an object quickly go by. Imagine taking a camera and shooting a series of photographs of something fast, just a few milliseconds one after the other, then piecing them all back together - it was like that. I didn't experience anything profound or God-like if that's what your friend is insinuating by 'eye-opening', but I did find the (often psychedelic) visual disturbances very fascinating. It was always good vibes with LSD for me. :)
Sounds like you had a nice trip. I heard from other people that having a bad trip on LSD can be terrifying and sometimes traumatising as well. I read that some people develop PTSD from having a bad trip on LSD. Do you know anyone who's had a such a trip?

Also, given your experience with it, would you recommend it to others and would you do it again?

Sounds like you had a nice trip. I heard from other people that having a bad trip on LSD can be terrifying and sometimes traumatising as well. I read that some people develop PTSD from having a bad trip on LSD. Do you know anyone who's had a such a trip?

Also, given your experience with it, would you recommend it to others and would you do it again?
No, I don't know anyone who's had a bad trip on LSD, but this was many years ago.

Would I recommend it to others? No. Maybe that's my age talking, but these days, I value my intellect. I have no desire to mess up my brain matter by indulging in illicit drugs - not worth it. I was in my late teenage years when I was messing about with drugs and it was for a relatively short period of my life - maybe two years or so. These days, I stay far away from drugs and I caution my 15-year old son to do the same, even when it comes to so-called 'harmless' drugs like marijuana. I live in a country where weed is legal and so many people have the idea that it's completely harmless. I wholeheartedly disagree, especially when it comes to teenagers. My father developed bipolar disorder at a very late stage in his life - he was 40. At the time (early 1980's), my parents were experimenting with growing and smoking weed and this is when his illness first occurred - we believe that it was triggered by the marijuana. Cannabis-induced psychosis is on the rise here in Canada, especially amongst young men. While casual weed usage might be OK for most people, I think that for those with a family history of mental illness, it can be very risky and permanently life-altering. There was a recent article by CBC News about cannabis psychosis if you're interested: More than a bad trip: Experts warn about the risk of cannabis-induced psychosis

Yes. The trips were always great. It's almost like constantly cumming. I was a teenager when I did most of my acid trips, but the stuff really isn't all that healthy where I am. It's not great lsd. At least the stuff I mostly did. I recall being told by my papaw that a particular "tweaker" feeling was from strychnine (rat poison) which my papaw always like to tease me because he used to use and deal good acid when he was young.
Anyway I've never had a bad trip but if you're seriously inexperienced and care about your health I'd buy testers if you ever get the stuff and decide then. Or like have a very trustworthy person or company provide your stuff. And still test. Don't just buy from a bisexual hippie teen named Caleb and let the junk dissolve on your tongue. 🤣
Really though I've put worse chemicals in my body but I'm mellowed out since all that.
I'd just do strictly shrooms and weed anymore. I'll even settle for delta 8 knock off thc vapes. Just healthier and more natural stuff.

Latest posts

Back