Beginning to feel suicidal

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I recommended an OnLine relationship is because it stands a far better chance than finding an In-person. There are many who do that who are satisfied. In fact, many had In-person relationships already, but those led to heartbreak, so to them OnLine is safer.
I have to be honest with you... that's just not what I want from life.

I know things are bad and it's difficult to find anyone attracted to me, but a virtual relationship with someone I never meet just sounds absolutely pathetic. Throughout the entire thread I've been emphasising the fact that I'd like a normal relationship, same as everyone else has had, and the options thrown to me are things like "why don't you import a bride from a third world country?" and "what about an online-only relationship?" and it makes me feel very un-heard.

The reason I recommended an OnLine relationship is because it stands a far better chance than finding an In-person. There are many who do that who are satisfied. In fact, many had In-person relationships already, but those led to heartbreak, so to them OnLine is safer.
I'm sorry, but I disagree.
What you are describing is similar to what us Gen Xers and older used to call a "pen pal".
A young 30 y/o guy like the OP would not be satisfied with anything but a physical relationship.
I'm nearly twice his age and I absolutely need physical.
Online is nice to connect with people, exchange ideas and opinions, share knowledge and have a few laughs.
But it is in no way a substitute for physical. That would only be the case for people who have no interest in sex.

I have been to speed dating events; I had fun with them, conversations flowed freely and people were nice. Then I get my results the next day and 12 out of 12 women ticked 'no' for me. This happened three times.
Before anything, I want to say that I certainly hope that you're in a better place today than when you originally wrote this message.

This comment stood out to me, and I am in no way about to minimize your dilemma, but I do want to share how MY views changed on this.

To begin with, you sound like you have a LOT more going on than I do in terms of physique, work, living situation, and a sane enough mind to have hobbies. I myself was never much of a pick up artist until I came to work in a big city almost a decade ago. My body is nothing to write home about, I don't have a sane enough mind to have a hobby and stick with it, and a whole other slew of problems I won't get into.

However, in working in the city, it never became more clear to me what "its a numbers game met" until I ripped off the bandaid and started talking to women... often... and I DID have to break through that initial comfort barrier, but this is how I did it.

I paid attention to what the women in my office found funny, and I took note of the guys who they were drawn to... and surprise, the ones that they are drawn to aren't always the hot guys. I mean, the hot guys come in first place, yes... but what I came to notice is that when people are "hot", they go through their whole life not having to FIGHT for attention. So the hottest women I ever been with had very little to offer by the way of conversation. They never have to be interesting because sometimes people PRETEND that hot people are interesting just for a chance to be around them... because theyre hot. See?

I caught onto that and also caught onto the fact that women just like to laugh and keep the conversation going... so I paid attention to the things that the "not hot" guys were saying when they were getting attention. I naturally have a dark humor, so I had to refine it a little bit. I began to break the comfort barrier of initializing conversations with women out of the blue... and I did that. Once I was not uncomfortable anymore, I would just start to hit them with little jokes and questions ABOUT THEMSELVES. They love to talk about themselves. So when you listen intently, that makes them feel connected.

Now, when I said it was a numbers game.. I mean that. I think the # 1 mistake guys make is honing on women that WE want... even when that women has nothing to offer.. women do it too with guys who are hot, and then they pretend the guy "changed". They didnt change. They've always been superficial. Just HOT and superficial. I would chat it up with women in the cafe at my job... I would chat it up in elevators... waiting for the shuttle.. waiting in line... the supermarket. It just becomes second nature. Today, it's as fun as saying "Oh, she's cute, I better hurry up and go over there and crack a few jokes and introduce myself to see if she is down".

You're going to get rejected. A LOT. The trick it to get over that. That's life. As an engineer, Im sure you're familiar with the law of averages. You're bound to land one.

And finally, I will leave you with this. The next time you're out and about...take notice of all the women you think are attractive. If they are with the guy, focus on him. Notice how the men they are with aren't 5 star models. They're average, frumpy, unshaven, balding, paunchy dudes. Because thats just what most guys are. SOMETHING about that guy makes her day. Think about that.

Before anything, I want to say that I certainly hope that you're in a better place today than when you originally wrote this message.

Hey man, I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately very little has changed, I still think of killing myself daily. Not out of a "want" to do so, I just really don't see any other way out of this situation. I haven't, because I really don't want to upset my friends, but I do worry that at a certain point just existing so you don't inconvenience anyone is a precarious position to be in.

As for your story, I think it's great, I really do. I would like to preface my response by pointing out that I really have no problem making conversation with strangers, it's not uncomfortable for me at all. Most of my friendships made in adult life have been from striking up a conversation with someone I feel I want to get to know better. I shared a laugh with a guy at a kickboxing class, and 4 years later I'm at his wedding. Struck up a conversation with a woman at a dance class, turns out we both liked European symphonic metal, and we're still best friends 10 years later. My point is, that while I'm very comfortable in these situations, it does not seem to benefit me in a romantic sense, it just means I get to make new friends. Turns out women can be friends with guys they have zero attraction to.

As far as your question about other men goes, that's a strange one. Often I can see where the attraction comes from; one of my friends isn't classically handsome, but he is a huge burly dude who exudes positive masculinity, he's a natural protector who unironically spends his weekends doing DIY and fixing things. So I get why he's always done well. A lot of my friends are just plain attractive, which is always a great opening gambit. My mood does go down when I turn on daytime TV or social media and see a smackhead with no job and about three teeth being scolded for cheating on his girlfriend with several different women. There are guys living off benefits/welfare that are doing better than me, yet when I tell my friends "hey, it sucks that women say I'm ugly", they respond "yeah, do you think you should get a better paying job?" as though the two things are related.

I've posted in this forum a few times, largely about the same topic. In short, in 30, I'm renting with a decent job (engineer), I've got several hobbies that are filled with single people my own age, I have a muscular physique due to weight training, and yet I just can't get any woman to be interested in me. The chief 'block' appears to be my face, as I am called out for being ugly pretty regularly. I don't think I'm awful, somewhere around average, but then, does the average man make it to 30 without a single woman wanting to be with him? I have had a couple of one-night-stands years ago (2014-2015) but these people were very drunk every time, and wanted nothing to do with me the next day.

So as this builds up, all I really think about is killing myself. I just don't see what else there is for me in life. I love my friends and my hobbies, but my friends all have their happy families to go back to, and I'm just me. I spend New Years alone, then Valentine's Day alone, then my birthday alone, then it's Summer and everyone's having acrobatic sex abroad, then I spend Christmas alone, and then repeat.

So far, I put myself off the idea because I don't want to upset my friends. But frankly I just don't see how spending another 40 years repeating this is worthwhile, all just so I can see my friends on evenings and weekends. I don't know what to do, I just know that this feeling isn't going to go away, and over time I'm concerned that my desire to no longer live in a world where I'm ugly & unwanted, will eventually overtake my desire to not upset my friends.
Please understand that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation. I was suicidal from 16 to my thirties. I was nice looking, slim with money but couldn’t get a date. One night I was at a dance with friends where I met a woman and we have been together for many years. Write on paper things you want in a relationship and things you don’t want. Stay alive, the right relationship will come your way.

Please understand that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation. I was suicidal from 16 to my thirties. I was nice looking, slim with money but couldn’t get a date. One night I was at a dance with friends where I met a woman and we have been together for many years. Write on paper things you want in a relationship and things you don’t want. Stay alive, the right relationship will come your way.

Hi there.

I'm really glad things turned around for you and that you held on in there. As I continue to mention in this thread, I am still not looking for "The Right Girl" (or any other phrasing) and generally just want to be found attractive by more people than zero.

Latest posts

Back