Cause and Effect

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HauntedTexan

Reaction score
I'm told that looking back on what could have caused my isolation now can help. If you have dealt with the same and overcome it, please let me know how.
As a kid, (promise this not be a novel :D ), we had to move every couple years due to an alcoholic dad getting us booted. Having to change schools, and always being the new kid, removed any chance of building lasting friendships. So, I eventually stopped trying because friends were always temporary. I've always been intelligent in school work, but a sense of future was an avoided topic, just make it out of the day alive ruled.
Now, as an "old guy", I find myself almost friendless, full of regret, and also remembering all the craziness of years gone by. I have never physically or mentally abused a wife, lover, or friend, been in jail, or even arrested, but hate to give up on at least a chance to feel love and compassion again.
Following in what youth taught me, I found a career that moved me all over the country, losing all concept of a hometown or roots. Never leaving much of a footprint anywhere I have lived and too easily forgetting those who live there. The exception being that my 1st wife and I remarried after having no contact for 28 years. We had 7 years together before cancer took her away, and her 2 adult kids, who live in 2 other states, that have thankfully stayed in my life.
So, here I am, living in a town I bought a house in to care for my mom, who passed within 2 weeks of moving here. My brother committed suicide a couple decades back, so family is gone. Being on full disability, along with a disabled vet income, I should be out enjoying what's left of life. But here I sit, wallowing in what was, coming up with more reasons why folks are better off without me being part of their lives.
What to do.... Voluntarily leaving this world is not an option since I firmly believe that would destroy all chances of being reunited with my late wife, or anyone I have traveled through this life with, or other lives with. Just want to not die alone or be found weeks after I pass. Simple, but extremely complex with the hermitage I have created here. If you made it this far, thank you, and peace to you and yours.

During my childhood my family had to move very often , I can relate to that. Just some 5 years back we got our first place we can call a home. Unfortunetly, my parents divorced last year and both moved away form that place. But atleast I've gotmy own place. Slowly rebuilding house. And Im just 22.

Brody said:
During my childhood my family had to move very often , I can relate to that. Just some 5 years back we got our first place we can call a home. Unfortunetly, my parents divorced last year and both moved away form that place. But atleast I've gotmy own place. Slowly rebuilding house. And Im just 22.
I truly wish you peace and happiness. We are raised by 2 loving parents who are more dysfunctional than we can ever know, who were raised by 2 loving parents who were more dysfunctional they ever knew, etc. Just wish we came with an instruction manual...

You and I have a few similarities in our life stories, Texan. I know well what it was like to be the new kid in town, what it is like to be almost friendless and to feel isolated. I'm an old guy too, with lots of regrets.

OK, here's something I did and am still doing: I do volunteer work. At the public library for a few years and now at the university extension service.

Does it fix much of anything for me? Afraid not, but it helps. It also makes a difference for my small Nebraska town, not a big difference I admit, but it's better than sitting at home. And I've formed a few friendships. Actually, I suspect there are plenty more potential benefits for me if I pursued them a bit more ambitiously.

constant stranger said:
You and I have a few similarities in our life stories, Texan. I know well what it was like to be the new kid in town, what it is like to be almost friendless and to feel isolated. I'm an old guy too, with lots of regrets.

OK, here's something I did and am still doing: I do volunteer work. At the public library for a few years and now at the university extension service.

Does it fix much of anything for me? Afraid not, but it helps. It also makes a difference for my small Nebraska town, not a big difference I admit, but it's better than sitting at home. And I've formed a few friendships. Actually, I suspect there are plenty more potential benefits for me if I pursued them a bit more ambitiously.
Twin kids of different parents...:D The volunteer thing is great, and commendable. Having always been a car guy, I got into classics and restoring them, even joined the "Over the Hill Gang" car club. I found that no matter who somebody was, a love for hot rods cut through the differences. But after years having too much fun at the expense of my body, hang gliding, rafting, being a "mowron" in general adventures, I just can't do what I used to love... So it comes down to believing that since I am so frustrated and aggravated now, folks are better off if I stay home. Happens when you get old, freedom of speech means I can say what I want and am obligated to do so....:cool:

Good on you Texan, for the freedom of speech thing! Tough break with the disability thing.......

What I'm hearing though, might be in the self fulfilling prophecy direction: "..folks are better off if I stay home..." and "..folks are better off without me...."

You're saying you don't want to be isolated and maybe dying alone, but you're also making decisions for other people why they shouldn't know you. OK, tell me there isn't a conflict there?

HauntedTexan said:
What to do.... Voluntarily leaving this world is not an option since I firmly believe that would destroy all chances of being reunited with my late wife, or anyone I have traveled through this life with, or other lives with.

+1 for that! Don't give up. I like that.

I'm not all that old, but you can't live your life with regrets. I have a problem with shame, where I am ashamed of myself for stupid things like my tone of voice in a conversation or saying the wrong thing to someone. It will eat at me, and I will regret it. But, I have to think, why regret it? At that point in my life, I felt like it was the correct thing to do, so move on.

I would suggest getting into volunteering and extra activities. Sounds like you have a start with your club. :) Also, this site helped me out with a lot of my loneliness.

Latest posts

Back