I kinda like her, but she's got this...key...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
I hope that silly topic sentence grabbed your attention.

Now. Listen up.

I kinda like this girl who sits next to me in Speech class. She sorta gave me the cold shoulder at first, but since she's been talking to me a little bit and accepts the gum I offer her and stole my pen, I think she might just be shy.

The problem is, she wears this key on a necklace around her neck. Like, an old-fashioned skeleton type key.

There's another girl at the same college center who does the same thing, except that one's a modern style key that you might get from the hardware store or locksmith. Like a house key.

So what the hell does this mean? I've looked on google and the Internets tell me it could be anything ranging from some sentimental key to a significant-other's heart, or by some sects of witchcraft, an amulet to open to doors of opportunity and ward off evil spirits. Which, my own spiritual beliefs are a little out of line with the rest of the population's anyway, so I'm down with that.

But the other possibility could lead to something awkward considering we have another four or five weeks to sit next to each other and work together.

What do I do? And is there any widely popular reason for wearing these **** things that I might be unaware of due to living under a rock?

Maybe I'll just ask her why people wear them in general, since she has one. Hmm...

Lol if you're curious about it, then why go around the issue? :p Just ask her. Be direct. It would be a good way to talk to her a bit more, anyway. :)

I suspect that the key thing might just be pure whimsical fashion...but it never hurts to ask.

That's what I just started thinking too. Sometimes typing that stuff out stimulates the ol' brain can.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for it tomorrow and just ask that, then go from there. "So what's up with everyone wearing keys around their neck? Are you afraid of locking yourself out of your house?" :p

Input on the reasoning is still welcome, however.

hmm... i think keys are cool. they symbolize things - and some people just like looking "unique" i guess.

i may be wrong but i think it is probably some mixture of the two.
i'd just ask her, though. :)

It's actually quite a trend - Tiffany makes key necklaces that are very popular, but not everyone can afford $500 a pop for jewelry.

When i used to see them around the neck, it meant the person had a problem with losing keys.

It seems now that it is used as jewelry. What it may mean to the person seems to vary quite widely from just being jewelry to having some special personal significance to them. As you already decided, you will have to ask.

dw6hj5.jpg

That ************, right there.

At least I know I'm not just crazy :p You've all seen it too.

Alright, I'll ask her today and report back my findings.

Another possibility... she's dominant, and it unlocks something on her submissive partner. Best way to find out is to ask.

Brian said:
I think I'm going to go for it tomorrow and just ask that, then go from there. "So what's up with everyone wearing keys around their neck? Are you afraid of locking yourself out of your house?" :p

This. Yes. Do this.

TheWickedOne said:
It's actually quite a trend - Tiffany makes key necklaces that are very popular, but not everyone can afford $500 a pop for jewelry.

I had no idea, but I am way out of it. :eek:

Brian said:
You've all seen it too.

Well I haven't but they don't let me out much these days. Maybe I need to move. :/

nerdygirl said:
Another possibility... she's dominant, and it unlocks something on her submissive partner. Best way to find out is to ask.

Wow. I learn so much coming here!

maybe it's the key to her heart...

her cold, mechanical skynet heart!

;)

but I’m curious as to her answer. props for continuing to engage with her too, even after her (possible) cold shoulder.

Well, I know this isn't the case with this situation, but let's pretend it is. In gay culture, wearing keys is common to covertly reviel one's sexual practice. Tops wear keys on their left belt loop and bottoms on the right. Around the neck/middle loop translates to versatile... it's more of a fasion statement now than a necessity... just like the hanky code. Maybe this is the case. Maybe she has a strap on... maybe she isn't a she. haha. Fasion is so lame sometimes.
-Z

Well, big surprise, I haven't asked lol.

She wears it under her shirt on a pretty constant basis; the only time it's been out of her shirt was the time I saw it. So I think it'd probably be inappropriate to ask.

Beats me. Maybe the females would know if it is inappropriate to ask about a necklace/medallion that is usually worn out of view.

just ASK. its ok! Just tell her that you saw it the other day and wonder if it has any significant meaning. (this would show her you've been thinking about her in a very subtle smooth way ;))

I wear a peace sign necklace around my neck and often (purely by accident because i never take it off), it is worn under my shirt. It symbolizes the peace I wish to have within myself and in my interactions with others.

Well I asked another girl what -her- key around her neck was all about, and her answer was that it's the key to her heart.

Meh. I dunno. fresia it.

the real question is, why you dont ask her yourself...

It's not that big of a deal, really. You're just stressing yourself out over something that is truely not that huge of an issue.

*hug*

maybe its a flash drive that holds the four horse men
of the apocalypse ready for download at the first call
from there master, lucifer. yes i said it, satan is going
to use a flash drive to end all of existence! (or not)

but i think everyones right about it being pretty fashion. i lol'd

Latest posts

Back