Overthinking due to low self-esteem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yo guys, ever had this feeling?

Me: *decides to text a random person*
My brain: What if he/she dislikes you? What if you come off as annoying? What if your text ruins their day because you suck? What if they get irritated on receiving your text? What if the person's friends/family keep advising them to stay away from you?
Me: Okay fine, I'll not text them.

I have low self-esteem, and this is one of the many aspects of it that come into play in daily life. I want to know if anyone resonates with this behaviour.

There comes a time when you stop giving a fukc about what other people may or may not think. You do what you feel like you want to do (excluding illegal or offensive or immoral behaviour) and to Hell with what others think. You will know if they don’t want you to repeat your action.

I think we've all felt that way at some point in our lives. I refuse to text anyone (aside from a few people) before 8am and after 9pm simply because I feel it would be rude. That said, I don't care when other people text me.

Now, here's my take on your questions......

What if he/she dislikes you?
But what if they do like you? If you've been talking to them and they didn't say anything, that's on them, not you.

What if you come off as annoying?
You will, at some point. EVERYONE is annoying at some point. Who cares?

What if your text ruins their day because you suck?
What if it brightens their day and gives them a reason to go on because they know someone cares?

hat if they get irritated on receiving your text?
Much like what I said about being annoying, this will happen too. You don't know their mood or what they are doing at that particular second, so yeah, it could happen. But again, who cares? It could also do the opposite.

What if the person's friends/family keep advising them to stay away from you?
Well then, I'd say you don't want them in your life anyway if they can't think for themselves and let other people decide things like that.

@TheRealCallie Many times, when I speak with people, I may ask them questions, but they would just respond with a 'yes' or a 'no'. Sometimes, you get exhausted with carrying a conversation, and both parties need to actively engage in a conversation to keep it active. This often makes me feel that they are not really liking me or what I am saying, and are responding just to be nice.

A confusing thing for me is that people often tell me I speak too little. But I feel like I speak quite a bit and it is the others who are not interested in it. People would either say rude things to me, or not say anything at all. At times, I really think I give off uncanny vibes to others. I have been more of an outcast all my life, since my earliest childhood. I don't think I behave any differently or do anything to hurt anyone, but still they seem to feel either contempt or uncomfortable when speaking to me.

You have to learn to ask open questions, those that require answers that elaborate rather than a yes/no response. Use “what, where, how” questions instead of “did, would, can” etc

@okidoke You are right that asking open-ended questions will lead to more elaborate answers, but then they would just answer the question and that's it. I would expect the other person to contribute to the conversation too, which if they don't, I feel they just aren't interested in speaking to me. Is this a right thing to assume?

I always assume the other person wants nothing to do with me.
Especially females.
And then if someone does show any type of interest (business wise or whatever else), I assume it is to use/take advantage of me and I react accordingly. It's just how I roll...

@okidoke You are right that asking open-ended questions will lead to more elaborate answers, but then they would just answer the question and that's it. I would expect the other person to contribute to the conversation too, which if they don't, I feel they just aren't interested in speaking to me. Is this a right thing to assume?
We should get out of the habit of assuming, but sometimes we're right about our assumptions. I was a police negotiator, and there was a real art to talking to people, which the police force (well here anyway, at least back when the force was still a decent organistation) used to teach well. I could talk with the most unwilling people, with techniques that eventually became natural, BUT, there are still occasions when trying to get someone to talk is a real chore. It all depends on the situation of course. If the other party is with you voluntarily, and they're not contributing much, it could be just that they feel shy and that they haven't got much to say, and that's where continuing to ask open questions is important. They WANT to be able to talk, they just don't know what to say. So when you ask as question, grab onto something that they mention and delve deeper, explore it further, see how it might relate to you and you will learn whether the person really is of interest to you or not. Some people are pushing their comfort zone to be with you and could be fighting all sorts of anxieties and phobias, so you have to tread gently and give them time. Be encouraging without being pushy. If they feel they've made a mistake being with you at that time, well, you give them a gracious out and let them go. Often is the case that people actually do like talking about themselves and their lives, so you get that going, but occasionally some people are quite aloof and you're probably wasting your time with them in the end. Just keep on trying it because eventually you'll come across those who enjoy the conversation, and the right person will be asking you open questions as well, and you'll be hitting it off with them. Try to use tact, be empathetic, be genuinely interested. Don't be pushy, don't be creepy or crass, and most importantly, learn to recognise when it's time to end the conversation and move on.

Latest posts

Back