Private messages

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodent said:
I admit that I'm particular about literacy. English is not my first language but I put enough effort into it. So when some people openly abuse their native language in grammar and style alike I have a hard time controlling the urge of plucking out my eyeballs.

Man! you shouldn't be plucking your eyeballs for grammer :p
English too is not my native language but I'm good enough to understand. and Rodent, don't pluck your eyeballs if few of my words sound alien to you. ;)

Rodent said:
Raingirl said:
PenDragon said:
Raingirl said:
That moment when you pm back and forth with someone having a funny banter and the conversation dies the moment you tell them how old you are, even tho they're around the same age. fresia this honeysuckle man. Is being 25 THAT old? as if I wasn't depressed enough about it.

Huh? PM based on age, that's the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Communication is not based on age restriction, does it?

When you're looking for something specific, like a romantic interest, I guess it is.

Suppose that happens more than often. Matter of fact though, I exchanged PMs with somebody once who suddenly noticed that I was merely 22 years old and "too young" for some reason. But I found out it wasn't about romantic interest at all. It's the good ol' trench warfare between the young and old and the assumption both cannot connect with each other for some reason. Glad I could convince this one person of the opposite at least.

As far I know, it's all bullshit. I had conversations with people younger and also much older than me. It's always subjective, boils down to basic chemistry.

22? Oh dear. I'm the wrong side of 40 and therefore much too worldly to be having a discussion with the likes of you. :p

In all seriousness, there are many differences between someone in their 40s and someone in their early 20s, but I don't see any reason why they cannot share thoughts, hopes, dreams and experiences. I do not exclude anyone on the grounds of age, but I am much more guarded with anyone under the age of 18 due to the way such friendships can be misinterpreted.

This was about someone my own age, not older or younger. Funny how he lost interest the moment he found out I'm not 18 or whatever. Guess he was just looking for someone 'younger'. Oh well.

Sometimes I have to remind myself of my own age when I refer to anyone younger than me as the "young folks". While I was the same age just a few years ago...

I try not to exclude anyone either, but these days I just know I don't see eye to eye with the majority of people around my age. Plusminus 5 years.

I can understand the whole deal of being too afraid to PM other people... it's usually the thoughts of wondering what they would think of you, or if perhaps you're bothering them, or the "what if they ignore me?".

In my experience, when you are being genuine and sincere, no matter what the outcome is, there is nothing to be afraid of. If someone doesn't reply you, then it just means you gotta move on and try someone else. Not everyone responds the same way. I've been ignored many times, but I've got some really nice PMs from various people even more. You won't know until you try.

Rodent said:
I admit that I'm particular about literacy. English is not my first language but I put enough effort into it. So when some people openly abuse their native language in grammar and style alike I have a hard time controlling the urge of plucking out my eyeballs.

Lol.. you make me laugh how you say some things sometimes.

I get the feeling that a lot of the people I reach out to don't respond due to the fact that i'm only 18 years old. It's odd to me, because most of my time offline is spent with 30-40 year olds, and most of my online friends are late 20's to early 30's, so I've no idea what their stipulations are. I'm like you, Rodent, in that I find it difficult to get along with people in my age group. I have much better results conversating with those older than me (assuming they have nothing against talking to somebody much younger, and don't hold any assumptions about me solely based on my age, such as lack of experience or intelligence, neither of which are true).

Rahvin said:
I get the feeling that a lot of the people I reach out to don't respond due to the fact that i'm only 18 years old.

This might be true, but I doubt so for you. You don't come across that way to me.

Also, it also depends on whether you treat others the same way you want them to treat you. Perhaps one doesn't seem as inviting as they would like to be or think they are towards others and that could turn people away too.

Raingirl said:
That moment when you pm back and forth with someone having a funny banter and the conversation dies the moment you tell them how old you are, even tho they're around the same age. fresia this honeysuckle man. Is being 25 THAT old? as if I wasn't depressed enough about it.

I think it shows a true level of maturity
IMO age is only a number , have to calculate mine every year
My scars tell me I have been around a little longer than some LOL I wish I was 25 again ... lots of do overs ... do better

If being 25 is a deal breaker consider yourself lucky that person disappeared .... a great friend of mine calls that a "near miss"

Rahvin said:
I get the feeling that a lot of the people I reach out to don't respond due to the fact that i'm only 18 years old. It's odd to me, because most of my time offline is spent with 30-40 year olds, and most of my online friends are late 20's to early 30's, so I've no idea what their stipulations are. I'm like you, Rodent, in that I find it difficult to get along with people in my age group. I have much better results conversating with those older than me (assuming they have nothing against talking to somebody much younger, and don't hold any assumptions about me solely based on my age, such as lack of experience or intelligence, neither of which are true).

you are unique ... lots of us like that around here
the thing about forums it doesnt need to be about age
people can connect regardless of age ... others will never figure that out

BadGuy said:
Raingirl said:

My scars tell me I have been around a little longer than some LOL I wish I was 25 again ... lots of do overs ... do better

If being 25 is a deal breaker consider yourself lucky that person disappeared .... a great friend of mine calls that a "near miss"

True dat, true dat.

Raingirl said:
BadGuy said:
Raingirl said:

True dat, true dat.

I would like to expand on this
If age , sex, race. looks , sexual preference or what ever it is somebody judges you on is a deal breaker ..... good friggen riddance .... what gives them the right to judge you .... who needs a friend like that

Rahvin said:

I found it equally difficult to get along with my contemporaries when I was barely 17/18, but I've come to the decision that I was indeed unexperienced in certain departments at this age. I wouldn't have wanted anybody to be my friend back then because I was filled with despair and self-pity. Nothing good could come out of this. And that wasn't unique for anybody my age. Social media just wasn't that big back then, so I couldn't live out my desperate attention seeking like many do these days...good riddance, I say. Luckily that's all a thing of the past for me.

Some people I talked to around here proved to be older and some to be younger than me. And I didn't always know beforehand. Suffice to say, some came across older or younger as well. As I've said before...it's just chemistry. Being on the same wavelength with people breaks down the age barrier.

Just try and say ''hi!''. No one will bite you. :p I think it just makes people happy to see a message in their inbox~

Well, some people take their time to reply something but hey better late than never. That is one scary thing to see when you send PM and wait for reply for it for days and night and in the end there won't be any reply at all. And there are few very busy people, too busy to type two words I guess, well, can't blame them Life sure make people their slave each and every time. But it is indeed really good to see some messages when you logged in here, Kinda brings little smile. But that is dangerous thing too when it becomes a habit and then you will no longer able to see any message, sometimes kills the mood. Just my thinking, different people think different way.

Latest posts

Back