What part of your parents lives on through you.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 191056

Reaction score
This is my first thread, and the question is about what part of your mum, your dad, lives on through you, whether you like it or not and forms the very basis of your behaviour, your characteristics and maybe the better or worse in you.

For me, my father in me comes through in my mistrust in people, the third degree. I'm tough to impress, and that doesn't usually grant me easy friends; however I do find likeminded people and even then, I don't trust them. Ha ha. My father was in Vietnam, he was a forward scout and I had an extremely good sense of smell which i think was passed on hereditarily from his experience and survivability; but covid fuc$ed that up for me.
As for my mother, I have strong domestic abilities, I can cook, I wash regularly clothes and linen, can sew, and own a sewing machine. I would have made a good little bit$h, and I'm straight too. But my domestics are tip top, and from her I gained strong financial skills, like saving and living within my means.

I hope this comes across as a means to share the things our parents may have graced us with and, yes the things that may get us stuck.

What I got from them:

Mother - ability to cook well. That is all.
Father - work ethic, exercising regularly, importance of being financially sound and never being in debt.

But neither were good parents. They only cared that I got good grades. Didn't give a d@mn about anything else.
Other than learning the above by osmosis, my father never directly taught me anything. He was a good provider who felt that was his only job as far as his family was concerned. Couldn't care less that I was a skinny, picked on, bullied, and then later on dateless loser. Now, did I overtly ask for help? Of course not! I "took it like a man" and didn't complain, which is what was totally expected of me. But to be honest, a kid that doesn't really have any friends, never talks much, and stays in his room most of the time is SCREAMING for help, and any parent who doesn't act on it just flat out doesn't care.

And my mother? 50x worse. Whereas my father was pretty much useless from a personal standpoint, my mother was downright detrimental. It's real easy to be the kid in school who is picked on and bullied when your mother is badgering and bullying you and for the 5 years BEFORE you start school (and then way, way beyond). These days they call it "grooming". She resented the h311 out of my "alpha" father, and she did everything she could to ensure I'd be nothing like him. And even though it worked, it also backfired. While I didn't turn out like my father (a guy who went on vacations with his friends, played golf 4 times a week, and had mistresses), I certainly didn't turn out to be what my mother wanted me to be: A henpecked milquetoast who changes diapers and does the dishes while his wife takes a nap.
She was also great for name calling. Lovely person...not.

What I got from them:

Mother - ability to cook well. That is all.
Father - work ethic, exercising regularly, importance of being financially sound and never being in debt.

But neither were good parents. They only cared that I got good grades. Didn't give a d@mn about anything else.
Other than learning the above by osmosis, my father never directly taught me anything. He was a good provider who felt that was his only job as far as his family was concerned. Couldn't care less that I was a skinny, picked on, bullied, and then later on dateless loser. Now, did I overtly ask for help? Of course not! I "took it like a man" and didn't complain, which is what was totally expected of me. But to be honest, a kid that doesn't really have any friends, never talks much, and stays in his room most of the time is SCREAMING for help, and any parent who doesn't act on it just flat out doesn't care.

And my mother? 50x worse. Whereas my father was pretty much useless from a personal standpoint, my mother was downright detrimental. It's real easy to be the kid in school who is picked on and bullied when your mother is badgering and bullying you and for the 5 years BEFORE you start school (and then way, way beyond). These days they call it "grooming". She resented the h311 out of my "alpha" father, and she did everything she could to ensure I'd be nothing like him. And even though it worked, it also backfired. While I didn't turn out like my father (a guy who went on vacations with his friends, played golf 4 times a week, and had mistresses), I certainly didn't turn out to be what my mother wanted me to be: A henpecked milquetoast who changes diapers and does the dishes while his wife takes a nap.
She was also great for name calling. Lovely person...not.
Thanks, that's what i was hoping to hear. I grew up in a physically abused environment. Probably the whole area was, through the ocassion of alcohol fueled violence, but my folks didn't drink. But this all makes who you are, you take something from it that in some stage of your life gives you the street skills to get through things. And then maybe it ruins you, depends on what you do.

The angry part, the sad one, the hurt one, the bitter one, it seems I got all of the negative qualities from them. But I also got the funny bone, so I suposse thats a plus :p

Latest posts

Back