How do you cope with being alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being alone is fine. I have loved having alone time since I was a kid. Being lonely, though..I don't cope well. I try to throw myself into projects or housework or books. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. I have these infuriating bouts of being extremely lonely but recoiling in horror at being around ACTUAL PEOPLE. Oh, it's fun in my head.

Being alone is the best sometimes, I agree. But i really cant take being lonely, not all the time.

Why cant I let anyone in?
all the people I ever let in, hurt me, some on purpose as they turned out to be bad, and some accidentaly, as this is how life goes. Thing is, I never wanted to let anyone in, yet they forced themselves in my life. And now that I want, that I need to let someone in, I cant. I feel empty, I feel nothing. I guess its better than feeling sad all the time, but still, it's a really bad thing

hazel_flagg said:
Being alone is fine. I have loved having alone time since I was a kid. Being lonely, though..I don't cope well. I try to throw myself into projects or housework or books. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. I have these infuriating bouts of being extremely lonely but recoiling in horror at being around ACTUAL PEOPLE. Oh, it's fun in my head.
That's ok to be alone....by choice...but when the imposed isolation monkey on your back simply refuses to relent and you are forced to contain any and all affection you may have to share.....you may have an amusement park in your head...but your the only one in the park.

Then I realize how close I am to the edge.....maybe an acceptance of fate would be best I am unable to see other options.

Venlafaxine....happiness in a bottle is no substitute for the warmth of another human being

Someone once told me that he doesnt have the time to feel lonely.
So i tried it too, but no matter what i did or how busy i got myself ,its not working for me well =/ so i guess i dont really have a way to cope with feeling lonely. Videos games and alcohol help a bit, but not enough.
So i just take each day as it is, try to find happiness in the little things ,and just try to get through it.
Maybe one day i will find a guy or a girl that i can be friends with... Ahhhhh hopes...

Btw i feel that we have alot in common, so youre not alone dude, we are all just one unhappy lonely family.

Nice of you to reply....people rarely do...To involved in posting their own issues I guess...who can blame them, but it's strange how difficult it is for people in the same state of complete unfullment are unable to support one another... I guess they feel they don't want to risk exposing themselves to any possibility of hurt.....the human condition is so so sad...like you say alchohol to blunt the pain...but it doesn't really work

i used to keep it all inside all these years. it bottled up, i couldnt take it. thats why im in these forums, because i feel i can share my issues with people that wont judge, that wont run away from me, but will be able to relate and support

on the topic of alcohol, I used to drink a lot but for fun. the last months that changed, i drink so i can get my mind off of stuff. it's a 2 sided blade, it can help clear your mind for a bit, or it can be your worst demon, fill your head with everything that hurts you, and make you unable to shake these thoughts away

Erevetot said:
i used to keep it all inside all these years. it bottled up, i couldnt take it. thats why im in these forums, because i feel i can share my issues with people that wont judge, that wont run away from me, but will be able to relate and support

on the topic of alcohol, I used to drink a lot but for fun. the last months that changed, i drink so i can get my mind off of stuff. it's a 2 sided blade, it can help clear your mind for a bit, or it can be your worst demon, fill your head with everything that hurts you, and make you unable to shake these thoughts away

It seems so unfair that the isolation monkey refuses even the merest possibility of at least a short term reprieve....or creates hope just in order to snatch it back.
I don't know if I'm going to survive this time around....the monkey seems intent on eating up every part of me.
I'm whining and I know there are many others in the same situation...so none of this makes me in any way significant.
Alcohol seems to be helping a bit for me at the moment

sothatwasmylife said:
Erevetot said:

It seems so unfair that the isolation monkey refuses even the merest possibility of at least a short term reprieve....or creates hope just in order to snatch it back.
I don't know if I'm going to survive this time around....the monkey seems intent on eating up every part of me.
I'm whining and I know there are many others in the same situation...so none of this makes me in any way significant.

you're not whining, it's good that you're strong enough to talk about it.
And not being the only one in a bad situation doesn't mean you're less important or that someone else deserves more support than you.
I just wish I had a way to comfort you, a good advice or something, so I could follow it myself as well.

I'm going with the cheesy "hang in there". at the moment it's the only thing I can try to do

I enjoy "alone" time when I can get it. It's the only time I can truly be myself (or that's been the case so far). There's no one asking me for anything, no one asking me to solve their problems or complaining about something. I'm free to think and do whatever I please.
That being said, I'm not truly "alone" because I have my little one.
I'd like to have a partner as some point, but not because I get lonely at times. It would be wondrous to be with someone you could be yourself around.
My life is what it is and I live it as it unfolds. I guess that's how I "cope" with it. I accept it for what it is.

Erevetot said:
sothatwasmylife said:
Erevetot said:

you're not whining, it's good that you're strong enough to talk about it.
And not being the only one in a bad situation doesn't mean you're less important or that someone else deserves more support than you.
I just wish I had a way to comfort you, a good advice or something, so I could follow it myself as well.

I'm going with the cheesy "hang in there". at the moment it's the only thing I can try to do

Just had a pop....I mean of course valid question to ask our esteemed Dr....'lonely doc'..which has cheered me up

Erevetot said:
ok, watching silly videos like this while half-drunk, is actually fun

Yep I can see it's entertaining.....I like to watch the air footage from Iraq/Syria appreciate Isis don't share my enthusiasm...but some of it is just so funny

internet has been the only thing that can make me feel a bit fun, but im still getting these days when nothing is interesting. and of course, it cant replace the human company

Erevetot said:
internet has been the only thing that can make me feel a bit fun, but im still getting these days when nothing is interesting. and of course, it cant replace the human company

Here's hoping thing's improve for all of us in this situation

Latest posts

Back