Glass half full/empty

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunless Sky

Reaction score
This is something that I ask myself on a constant basis. Do my issues even count as real problems? Or am I just complaining over nothing?

You see, I don't have any addictions, no severe domestic issues with family, no massive trauma, and no developmental problems, etc...

And, while I am no casanova, I don't struggle with talking to girls. True, I don't initiate conversations and tend to let it happen organically but, I don't have unrealistic expectations or desires when talking to them. I did have some unhealthy relationships though.

I am mildly bipolar but I take medication so the symptoms are mostly managed. I can be a bit socially awkward sometimes, I struggle with loneliness and stress from catastrophising thinking. I also used to have anger issues buy I've mostly dealt with that. Haven't been angry for more than a decade now due, in part, to sports and even video games and music which can act as energy outlets.

The only somewhat real problem that I think I have is my anxiety which does tend to be debilitating at times if I let it.

Anyway, felt like sharing that since I do ask myself this question whenever I hear stories from people with real problems.

(Edit) Forgot to ask my question. Is it all a matter of perspective?

Here's the thing.....there will always be someone worse off than you, that has more serious issues than you.
But does that mean you can't have issues at all? That you can't feel bad about things? That you can't stress about things? NO. It doesn't matter who has it worse and who has it better. We all deal with different things in our own way. Someone with worse issues than you could deal with things better than you. Someone with less issues than you could deal with things worse than you.
Every single person that has every lived on this planet has had problems. Every single person is going to deal with them differently. It isn't a competition. It's about being there. Being present. Helping each other when you can because you won't only be helping them, you'll also be helping yourself. Judgements and comparisons are what bring us down as a society.

So yes, it is a matter of perspective, but you have the perspective you have in this moment. Could it change? Yes, if you're open to it and do the hard work it takes to get through it. But if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. No one should fault you for that whether you have big problems or small ones.

As for glass half full/half empty. Why does it have to be either? It is what it is. And when you does become empty, you can always refill it. And if it's broken, you can always get a new one. That's the beauty of glasses.

Latest posts

Back