What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHatGPT is going to take my job, and I have no idea, what proffesions will still exist in a few years or how to live further :rolleyes: I'm so deep in dept...

How is it that the astronauts were free falling from the ISS in the movie Ad Astra? Does gravity work at that height?

There is no scene of astronauts falling from the ISS in the movie Ad Astra.

I believe you are referring to the scene represented in the above image. That scene depicts Brad and a colleague falling from a fictional structure called “the International Space Antenna”.

That structure is not an orbiting spacecraft. It is simply a very, very tall tower attached to the Earth surface.

Gravity doesn’t just stop at some distance.
Gravity is the curvature of the fabric of spacetime due to the presence of mass.
This curvature causes nearby bodies to accelerate towards that mass.
It is through that acceleration that we perceive gravity.

If I drop an apple, it falls towards the Earth’s surface because the Earth is gravitationally accelerating that apple. If I were to lift that apple straight up, 250 miles (400 km) to the height of the ISS and let go, that apple would fall back towards the Earth, just like the apple that I dropped from 6 feet (2 meters), but with slightly less initial acceleration.

That acceleration does decrease with distance.

Gravity is a “one over radius squared” acceleration.
That means that the acceleration decreases proportionally to the square of the increase in distance. Mathematically that means that it only really becomes zero when the radius is infinity.
In practicality, once a body gets far enough away, the gravitational influence of other bodies becomes dominant and the very small influence can be negligible, but it is still there.

The astronauts in the real ISS are experiencing the Earth’s gravitational acceleration.
In fact, their distance from the Earth only reduces that acceleration by about ten percent.
Those astronauts are in free fall, just like Brad’s character, when he falls from the antenna.
But the ISS astronauts don’t fall to Earth.
The reason for that is that they are in orbit.
The ISS travels horizontally at great speed.
The result is that the combination of the ISS falling towards Earth and the horizontal motion is a curved path that circles the Earth.

Brad’s character, lacking that orbital speed, simply travels downward (well, downward with a small horizontal component because he is initially traveling in a larger circle than someone on the Earth surface.
The closest to this scenario, experienced in real life, was when Felix Baumgartner jumped from a balloon that had hoisted him to 24 miles (38.6 km) above the Earth surface.

Latest posts

Back